Thread: No wireless on NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller after Windows update

No wireless on NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller after Windows update

Hi...usually I am pretty competent with common techie problems, but I am stumped here.

After a recent Windows update, my wireless isn't working, meaning that it says it's "working properly," but will not pick up any nearby wireless signals when I know they exist. Also, switching the on/off button for the wireless on my HP Pavillion tx1000 Notebook only allows me to keep it in a "disabled" mode.

After doing a system restore, the wireless does work properly upon rebooting. However, if the computer goes to sleep, hibernates, or is shut down, it fails to remember the system restore it just did, and goes back to it's non-working wireless state.

I have also searched for wireless driver updates and have installed them. This does not change anything.

How do I prevent this or fix this? I am in another country at the moment and do not have access to my original discs. The mouse/cursor has been a little jumpy at times as well.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: No wireless on NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller after Windows update...ugh!!!

I think there would be something installed wrong via Windows Update. You should check the windows update log and uninstall all recently installed update.

I know this seems like a dumb question, but how would I do that? Isn't that in essence what I have been doing each time I use system restore? Why doesn't it remember it each time either? I tried uninstalling the updates for the last month. No success.

I tried system restore for various dates each time it has returned to this "bad" state, but they never are completed succesfully and don't provide a specific reason why. I am only able to complete system restores from safe mode, but each time I shut down/sleep/hibernate thereafter, it forgets and reboots in the "bad" state.

When the wireless switch doesn't work, I can right-click the icon but it does not give me an "enable" choice. I tried this already. I already tried rolling back the drivers, but there were no previous versions to roll back to. I tried updating the drivers, and had no success there either.

Is there anything else I can tell you about my situation that would help? This is becoming such a tiresome task to just get online that I feel my only choice is to start from scratch again. But I can't do that for another week until I get home where all my discs are.

I finally got so frustrated that I had my computer guys look at it. They said that they had read on quite a few blogs about this problem and had come to the conclusion that it was a problem with the motherboard, and that it must be replaced. What happens is that at some point the motherboard decides to not work anymore and that it doesn't like the wireless card anymore. The blogs suggested installing an external wireless adapter, but often this does not solve the problem. We tried this anyhow, and as soon as my computer connected to the internet, it didn't like the new wireless adapter's driver, and kept crashing to a blue screen or completely, even when in safe mode. However, HP doesn't acknowledge that it's their system that is having the problem and they say it's a hardware issue because the wireless card is the first thing that stops working. I called HP myself and explained everything, and they offered to replace my motherboard for $300, but I refuse to throw any more money at that piece of crap laptop.

Essentially, there is no way to fix this- it's a faulty motherboard and HP won't acknowledge that it's their problem. If enough people who have this problem complain to HP, maybe they will issue a recall, but I am not holding my breath on that one. I am going to Mac and will never buy an HP again.

Re: No wireless on NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller after Windows update...ugh!!!

As far as uninstalling the updates is concerned, you can do it by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed updates. However, to me it doesn’t seems to be updates problem but it sounds like NVIDIA is controlling you wireless networks, which means the built in windows one can't and vice versa. Just try enabling the Wireless Local Area Connection by right clocking it and see if the problem gets resolved.

I have a similar if not the same problem. My HP Pavillion tx1000 lost all functionality of having a wireless card after a windows update or something... after giving up hope a few months later I installed windows 7 and my wireless was instantly back. After a windows update my wireless was gone again. I would undo the update, but the update allowed my to have to correct resolution for my built on laptop monitor.

by "Wireless gone" I mean I no longer see any wireless networks. I cant even enable/disable my wireless. The card worked again today for a brief 15 minutes which makes me think its a hardware problem. It seems to be connected firmly.

Re: No wireless on NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller after Windows update

Well first of all you need to uninstall the current wireless drivers from Device manager. Now simply visit HP Download Center and download the most recent version of Wireless Card drivers. Reboot the system and install the recently downloaded drivers.