Thread: Cannot install network printer in Vista

Cannot install network printer in Vista

I have a small Wireless Network hub at my home which is connected with two Windows XP computer and two printers, which are HP and Lexmark printer. All are shared with each other, both XP can transfer files and access both shared printers. The problem is only with the brand new Vista ultimate HP laptop. I connected it on the same name through wireless. It is able to transfer files between XP systems without any problems but cannot access Printers.

When I try to install HP printers, it says “Cannot connect to the printer, access denied.” And when I try installing Lexmark, I can see windows installing its drivers but suddenly says “Windows cannot connect to the printer (error 0x000003e3).” Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with Vista? Is it any kind of bug or am I missing some setting?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cannot install network printer in Vista

I had this problem earlier and managed to fix it myself. This is what I did, just try out the following steps:
    • Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
    • Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
    • A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Re: Cannot install network printer in Vista

Thank you very much for that useful info Domi.nick. Those steps really helped me to atleast connect the HP printer. I’m now able to access and print using HP but still am unable to install Lexmark.

Is there any way for Lexmark as well?

Re: The_fix

Yes, there is another way as well. Just create a shared folder on your XP computer, then place a shortcut from the printer in the folder. No from Vista search for a new shared folder, copy the shortcut to the desktop and make it default to the new printer. It should work.