Thread: Vista Live Messenger Remote Assistance doesn't work

Vista Live Messenger Remote Assistance doesn't work

I did a clean upgrade install of Windows Vista ultimate on a hard drive but am unable to get remote assistance to work. If someone requests RA and I respond accept, like I used to do under XP, nothing happens under Vista, the new window does not open. When any user requests RA to my XP computer, that is connected to the same Linksys router then RA works fine. I am running Windows Live Messenger 2008 version on Vista which is also updated to the latest updates with Service Pack 1. These both machines are connected to the router using the same Norton Internet Security software? Any ideas?

Re: Vista Live Messenger Remote Assistance doesn't work

Even we are facing similar issue and need some help from some expert. We have got a state-of-the-art device with original clean installation of Vista and XP, that must have worked out from the start. The major issue that we are facing is that the Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop interfaces do not identify the proper nature of the issue, that is whether the firewall or permissions or network connectivity, etc, when a connection fails. Can anybody advice us in the right direction.

Did you check that your remote configuration under System Properties > Remote Tab > Remote Desktop Section? This thing can be accessed by right clicking the desktop computer icon and then choosing Properties > Remote Settings. I think that this section might have limited the remote assistance sessions to other computers running Vista, by default. You need to also check the firewall program and ensure that the Remote Assistance program is identified as an allowed program. Check also that the firewall is not blocking the RA communications port.

Hi
    I have used remote Assistance without a problem. I simply turned off my firewall I am still wondering if there is something i can do to have my firewall on and it will work.