Thread: Sharing files between 2 Vista PC's

Sharing files between 2 Vista PC's

I am running Windows Vista on 2 different computers and one of them is wirelessly connected to a router and the other computer is wired direct to the router, which is a gateway to a cable modem to my ISP. I am able to share my wireless computer's files but I am not able to share my wired computers files to the wireless computer. It is only able to see the share icon in the network window. If I am double clicking on it then I get a message that says "Windows cannot access \\xxxx. Check the spelling etc". How am I able to view one way but not the other way, its really weird? Any ideas?

Re: Sharing files between 2 Vista PC's

I think that you might have done some settings not properly on the wired computer, But it usually never matters that one computer connects wired adn then other connects wirelessly, because they both seem to part of the same local area network. You can therefore try to read article on File/Printer Sharing in Vista from here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

I checked that article and found that I dont have a firewall problem, as the wired computer has WMP library that can share media files to the wireless one. Also, I am running only the Vista firewall with the exceptions tab for "file and printer sharing" that is ticked on both computers. Both the computer's are in the "WORKGROUP" and the username on both PC's are "Admin", I have turned off both guest accounts. Is there any other solutions?

Try the below workaround and see if that helps:

1. First of all shut down both computers and then restart the router
    2. After that start both computers (now the router will only hold one entry for each computer and no other confusing information)
    3. Now you have to ensure that Network Discovery and File sharing is turned in Network and Sharing Center on both PC's
    4. After that temporary disable the firewall on both PC's check if you have two way communication, if yes then turn on one Firewall and check again, if yes then turn on the other Firewall
    5. Now, if you get a failure using \\RemotePc then do an ipconfig on the computer you are trying to access (RemotePc) and note the ip address and try \\ipaddress and see if it fails that way also.
    6. If it fails then let us know where it failed.