Thread: Wifi failed to work on Dell laptop after installing Vista on it

Wifi failed to work on Dell laptop after installing Vista on it

My friend helped me to install Vista on my new Dell laptop. I cannot understand what really happened the network failed to work. Everything was working fine. There was also no issue with the drivers. When I connected that to the lan I got a message saying local access only. I am not able to get the option that really worked. I had connected the broadband cable directly to the same but still the problem lies the intact. I need help in using the laptop. I had removed Windows XP and now stuck with this issue. Any idea how to deal with the problem. Thanks.

Try to test that your system has received a appropriate ip to access the internet. When you get this error that means you have access to lan only. There is no way you can get access to the internet until there is a valid ip address. To find that you can type ipconfig /all in cmd and hit enter. If there is no ip address listed then simply go in the Network and Sharing Center. Click on Local Area Connection and go to Properties. There you can find TCP/IP and click on Properties. In that add the ip address and other required information manually. If you are not aware about the settings you can ask your ISP for that.

Limited connectivity error occurs when you are connecting to a private network without authentication. You can go in Network and Sharing center and create a new connection wizard. It will ask you what type of internet connection you have. Just choose the right option and move ahead. There you will be able to get the most appropriate settings that will really work. You can start with creating a public network without any password. I am sure on that you will not face any problem and it will work well. Ensure that the connectivity is appropriate and then check back.

I am not sure that this is really going to help you but there is one thing that can work well. In my laptop I got the error due to a faulty antivirus. I was using McAfee. I was on public network but somehow my connectivity was block even after adding all the ip address details manually. It is not at all accepting the connection. Later on I removed McAfee and things went back to normal. There was no error at all. There was no issue with the connectivity and the connection was stable. I do not understand why McAfee block the connection.