Thread: Vista 64 SP1 Wireless Connection Problems

Vista 64 SP1 Wireless Connection Problems

I already have a laptop running with Windows Vista and recently bought a new desktop with Vista. Laptop was already connected with my Netgear DG824M wireless router/ADSL modem, I tried connecting the new desktop as well to the same but due to some unknown reason it is not able to connect to internet. I tried getting to the cause but not able to understand whether it is Software or hardware problem because all settings seems to be proper.

My new desktop is running with Asus WL-138GE or 138G V2 PCI adapter. Initially, it was identified as a Broadcom adapter. Can this be the problem? Somebody please provide some method to fix the same? Thank you very much.

Re: Vista 64 SP1 Wireless Connection Problems

Yet there are many routers which are not compatible with Windows Vista. And to me it seems like your Netgear DG824M wireless router as well is not compatible with the same. You can see the compatibility list for Vista here: http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=712&g=d . So just try upgrading the router firmware and see if it works. Also for better results, try running this test on Vista desktop: https://www.microsoft.com/windows/us...d/default.mspx

That means your new Vista desktop is not able to obtain IP Address from the router. In such case, try following these steps:

• Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
    • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    • In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    • On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    • In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
    • In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    • Close Registry Editor.

Thank you very much for your replies and help friends. Even I was thinking to replace the router with new one but if my Vista laptop is working fine with this router, then how it can be incompatible with vista desktop? Anyways, I’ll try steps provided above and come back if the problem persists. Thank you.