Thread: Dell Inspiron 1720 Vista Wireless Problem

Dell Inspiron 1720 Vista Wireless Problem

I have reinstalled windows vista on my Dell Inspiron 1720 and since then i am not able to connect to my WPA-PSK wireless lan network when security is enabled. I dont have any issue in locating other wireless networks and connecting to the same. I can connect to my WPA-PSK wireless lan network after disabling security but as soon as i enable it i cant. I don't know if there is something wrong with windows vista or my network. I did not had any such issue before while running vista. It all started after reinstalling vista, so i guess there is something wrong with it, however i am not so sure about it. Can any one help me to fix this issue???

Re: Dell Inspiron 1720 Vista Wireless Problem

Before i suggest you anything, answer me below questions:
    • Have you tried upgrading your routers firmware?
    • Have you tried resetting your routers setting?
    • Have you installed all recommended windows updates for your newly installed vista?
    • Have you installed latest driver for your wireless card??

Just check out these things and answer me so that i can have better idea if the issue you are going through.

Yes i have tried upgrading my routers firmware,resetting my routers setting, installing latest drivers for my wireless card and installing all recommended windows update for my system but my system still wont connect to my WPA-PSK wireless lan network when security is enabled.

Try connecting your router with a cable and go through the security settings. If you don't have any issue there then you can try wireless with broadcast SSID enabled. Once you get your wifi connection working with SSID enabled then you can try turning it off later.
    let me know if there is anything else that i need to check out further, i want to fix this issue as soon as possible so any help for this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

It seems as if you haven SID broadcast turned on on your router while you try to connect via wireless connection ad that's the reason you are able to see other networks but not your own. Just like jigu902003 has mentioned you can connect to your router with a cable first, later you can try wireless with broadcast SSID enabled. Give it a try and let us know the result you get, best of luck.

I have had this problem for a while, when I bought a new router, it told me to install Cisco's Network Magic Pro, you could download a free trial version from their site to see if it works. So far it has for me.

Once it was installed, I could pick up wireless signals again and connect to them, whereas before I was only able to internet access through direct connection to the modem. Whether it is this program or another, this could be a quick solution, seem happy with it so far.