Thread: mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp

mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp

Ok I went through a few other similar threads but they didn't really help me as the problems were somewhat different.

My current setup involves 2 wired desktop computers one running xp pro sp3 , 2nd desktop is xp home. I also have a laptop running vista 64 and is wireless. All 3 computers can access internet without any problems.

All 3 computers belong to the same workgroup and all 3 have manually assigned static IP's so the subnet and DNS are all identical on all machines. File and printer sharing are installed on all 3 and the two desktops can view eachother and share with no problems (well not many it seems to occasionally cut out for no reason sometimes). The vista laptop is not visible to the desktops nor can the desktops see the vista computer.

I have set the vista computer up as a private network and done the view entire map and the desktops do not show on it, the sp3 desktop has the LLTD protocol installed as I tried the update and would not allow it saying my updates were newer than that hotfix.

I have tried disabling firewalls completely to no avail, and I am just confused in that the wireless network seems to be completely separate from the wired even though it is the same router. Is there any way to view the wireless network from the wired computer? I have tried using the xp wireless network setup which seems to do absolutely nothing.

so quick recap 3 computers

desktop - wired - xp pro
    desktop - wired - xp home
    these can share with eachother no problems (Mshome workgroup)
    laptop - wireless - vista 64
    can not see or be seen (Mshome workgroup sharing enabled)

Thanks!

Re: mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp

First of all are you able to ping your Vista system from XP either by IP address or by computer name? Meanwhile, just go to Control panel > Network and Sharing Center. Here just make sure Network Discovery and File sharing are turned on. If still the problem is occurring try running Diagnose and repair. Reply back with the results.