Thread: SP1 didn't fix slow network transfer?

SP1 didn't fix slow network transfer?

I have got 3 Vista machines on my home network and the OS runs great on all machines except that, when I am trying to copy files over my network then I can see something like "Calculating Time Remaining" and then nothing happens. Other times it might copy one file over but that is it and then it will hang forever. If I click on cancel then it will still remain on the hang screen and so I have to restart the computer. I dont know what to do to solve this problem, can anyone help.

Re: SP1 didn't fix slow network transfer?

What are NICs in your computer that you are using and also what is the make or model number of the router you have? Have you tried to update to the latest firmware for the router? Please give us some as much details as you can.

RE: SP1 didn't fix slow network transfer?

Incase you are connecting all the machines via a wireless network then the transfer speed that you have will suffer greatly but if you are using a,b or g kind of routers then you will get decent transfer speed. You can also try to use a wired network if possible with the help of CAT5 cable or such. Or else better use a good router or a switch.

Re: SP1 didn't fix slow network transfer? VPS 2007 Problem?

If you are using MS Virtual PC 2007 installed on one of your machines then you can try to uninstall it because that worked for me very well.

I have suffered the same problem and tried everything listed on the web with no success. I then discovered that I could fix this problem by changing the connection speed of my network card from fixed 100Mbps full duplex to auto it sill connects at 100Mbps but the network transfer rate has gone from 130KB/s to 8MB/s in short a file that took 20 minutes to transfer now takes 17 seconds.

Yes, changing the network adapter from 100mbps full duplex to Auto did help solving the problem, finally... thanks to awatt32 for providing the right solution!