Thread: Vista requiring username/password with simple file sharing

Vista requiring username/password with simple file sharing

Whenever I am trying to access shares with password protection turned off on both Vista machines then Vista will ask me for a username and password everytime. When I use the XP machine to access the shared file on Vista machine then I dont get to asked the username and password? What should I do to fix this issue?

If you have XP Pro or media center then you will need XP pro's features to ser fine-grained permissions, and then turn off Simple File Sharing by going to Folder Options > View tab and then create identical user accounts/passwords on all computer.

Re: Vista requiring username/password with simple file sharing

I fiiiiixed it!!!! (or at least found out how to)

I know it's been a few years since this thread was started, but, I am hoping that it helps other people with the same issue. I googled the problem and this was one of the main threads that came up.

The issue that fixed my two Vista machines NOT being able to communicate on the home network was the EXACT same. I have five machines on a home network. I have 3 Vista PC's (2 wireless laptops and a desktop) and 2 XBox 360's. I can do media sharing on MY XBox and I wanted to get my desktop and MY laptop to share files. I just built my desktop and I wanted to add my music from my laptop to it/etc....

I did all the settings and even checked my BitDefender firewall settings to allow ALL IP's on the network to have "Allow" access' to my computers. still, NOTHING was able to get passed the Windows generated login screen! (this is SIMPLE Network Sharing- without password)

HERE'S THE FIX:
    1. Go to User Accounts (search in the Windows Start)

4. Enter in "Log on to:" the name of the current PC you're on at that moment
    for this expample I'm using my laptop (Named JAYDOUBLEDUB)
    5. Enter in "User name:" the name of the computer you want to allow access to your computer.
    6. Leave the "Password:" blank

Now do these settings for each account/computer you want to have access to that computer. Things to make sure of before you do this and "it doesn't work" for you:
    1. Ensure your firewall(s) are set to accept or allow traffic for whatever IP Address' assigned to computers you want to access/allow access.
    2. Ensure that you have followed the steps on the above posters' comments.
    3. hmmmm can't think of anything else... OH ensure your router(s) (if any) are setup to allow networking. Normally, if you just plugged them in and did BASIC settings, most routers allow it by default.

I really hope this kept people from punching walls or other people! Let me know if this worked for you!

Also, make sure you do these same steps for the other computers. If you want passwords, make sure they all correspond to any password you set. Have a great one!
    Last edited by Raj; 15-10-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Add final steps for other PC's

Hi,
    I have two machines with windows 2008 and I created a guest account with blank password on first machine on which a share folder reside but second machine still asking for password on accessing the share folder on first machine.
    I am trying to make it work but not working :(. I have checked this even when my firewall is off on first computer.
    Thanks
    Vivek

The only thing I could think of would be that under groups and users in the admin group add yourself. Sorry if this dose not work.

Re: Vista requiring username/password with simple file sharing

I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. I have a home network with a couple of XP machines, a couple VISTA boxes, and a Win7 box. Everything sees everything else, but ONE VISTA machine requires me to enter a username/password when trying to access ONE XP box. All of my computers are set up with blank passwords an no user accounts etc. this one VISTA computer is the only one which asks me to enter a password, and only for this ONE XP computer. I've tried everything I can think of, allow blank passwords is done on the XP computer, and I think I've got the VISTA networking settings correct because I can access all the other stuff on my other XP computers. Just the one with all my movies is locked out...weird and frustrating...