Thread: VPN connection dropping

VPN connection dropping

At my office there are various Win XP running Systems connected to Windows 2003 Server Running VPN services and all are running fine. Recently I bought a laptop which came with Vista, I connected the same as well to this VPN network successfully. I was able to use Remote Desktop / Ping / Use Outlook without any problem. But it remains for about an hour and the connections drops automatically.

It happens every hour. Surprisingly when I check the connection with ipconfig, it shows that I still have remote IP but all traffic has stopped, ping tests fails, unable to connect remote desktop. Even outlook says it has lost connection to the Exchange Server. When I open Network and sharing center, I can see VPN connection still connected but as actually it is disconnected according to other test, when I try to disconnect the same, it opens a new pop up saying “Attempting to Disconnect from VPN” and freezes here. The only way to get out of this freeze is to restart explorer.exe

One surprising thing is that all XP computers are still working fine without any connection drop to the same VPN network. Than whats the problem with this Vista? Somebody please help.

Re: VPN connection dropping

I have never been through this situation hence don’t have any personal idea but what the searches saying on web is you need to disable IPv6 on your Vista system. Just try disabling the same and see what happens. Reply back with the results.

Re: VPN connection dropping

Thanks a lot for you help friend. As per your suggestion, first I tried disabling IPv6 for VPN connection and tested. As usual the connection dropped again after 70 minutes as always. Then I tested disabling IPv6 on BOTH the VPN and also on my local wireless connection. Its been 3 hours so far connection haven’t dropped. Seems to be working fine. If it drops again, I’ll reply back. BTW, thank you very much for your help.

Hi folks,

Has anyone of you been able to fix this?

I have quit the same issue.
    I work on my Vista Business laptop using a VPN to an SBS2003.
    Works ok for all day. No issue's what so ever.

However if I shut down my laptop (or only the VPN) at the end of the day it just hangs on 'closing connection'.
    Once I let it stay there for an hour, no results.

I noticed when I first choose to logoff and then shut down the laptop it works ok.

Any suggestion?
    Arno