Thread: wireless network printer offline

wireless network printer offline

I am using Windows Vista on Dell laptop, connected with Dell wireless printer server 3300 and Dell printer. There is also Windows XP laptop connected on this Network. I don’t have any problem accessing or printing with this Shared printer. But there is a strange problem with my Vista laptop. This Vista laptop can print fine until it goes into sleep mode. When it comes says “Printer is Offline”. When I check Device Manager, it says there is no driver installed for the printer. And the only way to make it work again is to re-install the drivers. Again it will work only until going into sleep mode.

I checked various other forums for help and everybody said that this can be fixed by rebooting the laptop. In my case, rebooting won’t work. I need to re-install driver every time. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: wireless network printer offline

Hello Isaivalan, go to wireless printer menu, click Network, click WLAN, click TCP/IP. Here you will get IP Address of the printer. Now to setup the printer on correct port Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Printers' > Right Click your printer and choose 'Properties' > click on the 'Ports' tab. Here make sure the check box next to the Printer’s IP address check marked.

I just wanted to say thank you for your easy to understand and concise answer to this issue. I had this same problem myself and was beginning to lose my patience when I came across this post. Your instructions were SO easy to follow and it worked beautifully, I did need to reboot my computer but once up again, there were the words I so desperately prayed I would see..."online". After over 40 minutes on the phone with my printer & computer makers, I had answered several questions & confirmed every bit of information about myself only to be told this was a "not-covered issue" and I would have to purchase a "software service package" - one of them wanted $239 for 12 months! As a single mother who is currently out of work it is nice to know there are still people out there who are willing to share their knowledge and help others with this confusing stuff...without asking for money. Thank you so much!! Tracy G. (IL)

I am trying it, it still doesn't work. This happens all the time with this printer.

I have a new Brother MFC-255CW that experienced the same problem. However, the Brother tech in Canada could not have been more helpful. He had me reset the IP address for the printer to a static IP and after that it worked fine and doesn't drop offline. He claims that the previous ID was by name and that sometimes it gets reset by the router - they have this problem quite frequently.

Good luck - Dave

Just try our this, right-mouse-clicking on the printer, and toggle the printer online - printer offline command. When this is online, everything works again. Apparently the installation of the workgroup has changed this command from online (the printer used to work) to offline. Why is not clear form me, but that is not important any more. I guess this will work for you.