Thread: Vpn error 789

Vpn error 789

I want to connect to a l2tp vpn but I am getting the error 789: The l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer. Everything was working fine and this error started to happen from yesterday. When I try the same on Windows XP machine then I can connect without any issues. Please help.

Re: Vpn error 789

I have found out that VPN error 789 is a security settings or third party software problem. And if you want to troubleshoot it then you can try to start Vista with clean boot method, given below:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights
    2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.
    3. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
    4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Can you tell us whether you configured the L2TP/IPSec connection by using pre-shared key or certificate for authentication? After that did the issue also occur on other Vista machines? If possible, to narrow down the issue, could you please try PPTP VPN on the same Vista machine and check whether this works? Also you need to tell me the information of VPN server and provide the detailed VPN settings on server side. (Please tell me detailed parameters of IPsec settings )

Re: Vpn error 789

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a L2TP VPN in windows7, first i received 728 error and it's been solved by your helpful suggestions, but now (after solving 728 error) I receive 628 error !
    I've checked my connection and it's OK. In my XP windows it doesn't have problem and I'm able to connect with VPN.

Could anyone help me??? :(

Hi outfox,

If you are getting error message 628 then it means that “the port was disconnected”. You may refer to:

List of Error Codes that you may receive when you try to make a dial-up connection or a VPN connection in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923944