Thread: Set up wireless router or access point

Set up wireless router or access point

Every time I try this procedure (set up wireless router or access point) I get the following message: "Configure device manually-windows will open the device configuration page so you can type the information manually:
    -Network name (SSID)
    -security type and key or passphrase (WPA security recommended)"

But if I continue all the info is already there. If the info is there, why can I not access shared folders or printers?

RE: Set up wireless router or access point

Windows Vista uses the Public folder, rather than the Shared Documents folder in Windows XP, to simplify file sharing. With Public folder sharing enabled, the public folders and all of the folders within the Public folder are automatically shared with the name Public. You do not have to configure file sharing on separate folders. You only have to either move or copy the file or folder you want to share on the network to the Public folder. More information here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

I think the problem has to do with the firewall settings on my router, but I don't know how to configure it...what applications to allow. I have Acer notebook and Acer desktop both with Vista OS using a 2wire 2701HB-gateway . The desktop is accessing internet via ethernet and notebook via wireless. I really don't know much, but I have already read the link you sent via other posts and replies and it hasn't helped me. I have made those settings. Have a workgroup, set users with permissions, took down firewalls...I don't know what else I can do. Sick thing is my notebook can access files on my HP notebook running XP, but my two Acer's running Vista can't share anything exept media.