Thread: IPv4 Autoconfiguration problem

IPv4 Autoconfiguration problem

I’m having a Windows Vista Home Premium computer. Using it since past three months without any problem but don’t know what went wrong, it is now reading my home network as unknown network. When I ran ipconfig /all, it responded saying 169.254.xxx.xxx when it should only have one of the generic 192.168.1.x addresses, right? Google searches indicates that the problem is "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.xxx.xxx" I tried disabling both IPv4 and IPv6 but still the problem persists.

This vista system is connected with Netgear wgr614v6 router which also has PS3 connected. PS3 is working fine but Vista is not working. I get the "Local-only" message, but if I try to connect to the router page 192.168.1.1, that doesn't work either. Can anyone please provide me some working solution for the same? Help appreciated.

Re: IPv4 Autoconfiguration problem

There is no sense in disabling both IPv4 and IPv6. If you want you can disable or delete IPv6 only completely.

Solution-simple And Quick

After spending 4 phone calls to my ISP and getting nowhere, i eventually stumbled on the root of the problem in MS KB and had it fixed within a minute. the issue is down to the DHCP client being disabled. here are the instructions:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and then click Manage.
    2. In the Computer Management console, double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
    3. In the rightmost window, right-click DHCP Client and then click Properties.
    4. Change Startup type to Automatic, and then click OK.
    5. Right-click the DHCP Client service again, and then click Start.

Alternatively, here is the website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268674/en-us.

I hope this helps at least someone as i've been pulling my hair out over this all week.