Thread: Windows Vista Connection Status Unknown error

Windows Vista Connection Status Unknown error

I had started hating Windows Vista. I am not at all happy with the upgrade. I thought this would make my connectivity much better but due to some reason the system just failed to respond properly. I had updated the drivers and installed all that which is required. I am using a 32bit of Windows Vista. The card that I am using in my system is nVidia nForce Controller. Upon reboot i am getting a error that Vista connection status is unknown. This is very annoying. Has anyone got idea on this what is the actual cause behind it.

You are getting this error because your system is not getting a valid ip address. You must check that through ipconfig /all. Just launch cmd and type this command. Then hit enter and see whether you are able to get updates or not. If there is no IP detected then this kind of issue is common. You had configured the settings on automatic. You must contact your network admin and ask for configuration settings for TCP/IP. There you can manually add the IP and other related information. The issue will solved.

Go in Network and Sharing Center. At the left side you can find Change Adapter Settings. Click on that. The lan adapter will be displayed. Right click on that and choose disable. Then again after a few seconds right click on that and choose enable. That's all the adapter will search for IP address and it will start working. The issue also comes due to outdated drivers. Update your system drivers and run Windows Update once if possible. I am sure you will receive some set of settings in that which will help you to fix the issue.

There one more thing you can do. Click on Start > and in the search box type ncpa.cpl and hit enter. Here you will find all the active connection. Right click on the one which you are using and choose properties. There you can find all the settings and driver related information. You can verify each of them for errors. Also if possible try to change the cable and check again. Second thing you can do is type netsh winsock reset in cmd. Do this under admin account and then check back. The network must be active.

Go in Device Manager and then right click on the network adapter. Choose delete. Restart your system. The adapter will be available again. It is necessary that you get the right drivers for the same. A number of time the problem lies with outdated drivers. You can re-install it and search the drivers through windows update. By re-installing the same it becomes possible to configure the settings back as it was. If still that does not work then your network adapter is having some kind of issue. Once just go in bios and check the settings related to that.

Where you are getting that error. On Wifi or on the lan connection. It is necessary that you collect require configuration for the same or else it just does not work. Windows manages your wifi internet connectivity on its own. There is no need to configure the settings manually. But still if this does not work then there is no option left. You have to start working on manual configuration. Vista is having some kind of major bug with lan connectivity. It is also not right to blame the driver only for this problem.

re: Windows Vista Connection Status Unknown error

Do you have any other system to test on that same network. If yes then just connect it and check back. If there is any working computer that you can test it will give you a bit more idea on the problem. I had faced the issue on Windows XP. After troubleshooting number of stuff I found the problem lies with my modem. Each time on start the system forgets the router IP. I changes the modem and things went back to normal. In your case it can be crimping issue also.

I am having a Vista premium on Dell 530 Inspiron. It is juts a few months old. Things were working fine but somehow there was connectivity problem with the system. The internet was not working. I had checked the connection it was active on wifi. Somehow the connection failed on Vista only. Later after running a ping test and I found that there is a constant request timeout error in between. The connection was dropping and there was no clue why it was happening. I had updated nvidia drivers and then it was going well.

Try system restore I think that will help you. And if you are having a desktop then better buy a lan card. There are ample of them available at reasonable rate. I had added one pci wifi card in my system. It works great with my laptop. Both are on Vista. If you had upgraded your system from XP to Vista then this kind of issues are normal. You must get a fresh drivers update and then check back again. There are chances that you get a right update to fix the issue. It is necessary to run windows update also later on.

Try to run factory settings. If you have a laptop then restore your laptop to the time when it was bought. It will put back all the old software and applications which are needed. It is not complicated to do that. You can run system restore also and it also helps in many ways. It is not at all complicated to find solution for the same. But somehow keeping running new updates and changing the drivers will screw your system more.