Thread: Route add does not change routing path

Route add does not change routing path

I have got a Portable with 2 NIC and one of them is wired and other is wireless. This both of them are working fine without any issues and each is connected to a different network. With the wireless nic I want to do to Internet but route print shows that metric for wired nic is lower. So, therefore I am using route add command like in XP. I am able to see a new permanent route in the route print below but the routing path is not modified. If I am using Tracert then I can see that to connect to internet I still use the wired Nic. Does anyone have any information on same? Thanks

Re: Route add does not change routing path

You can try to go to Network Connections and then right click on it and then click on Properties and then select IPv4. After that go to Advanced and then uncheck the Automatic Metric and type a number of your own, for example, lower number is higher priority. This was the way I used on Vista to use the 1Gb/s LAN in preference to the wireless if both are connected to the network.

Re: Route add does not change routing path

Thanks for the reply, I used that solution first but find out that it simply lowers the metric for the interface and not for a specific route. What I mean to say is that if I connect at home where I want to go to Internet via my wired NIC then it will first use the Wifi.