Thread: Vista cannot connect to network share but reach internet

Vista cannot connect to network share but reach internet

In office we have a Windows Server 2003 Domain. Recently we upgraded one of the connect XP clients to Windows Vista Business Edition and connected it again to the domain without any problem. Now when one of our standard users is trying to connect to the domain from this Vista edition PC using \\servername\share, he is just unable to reach the server.

I though there would be some accessibility problem as being a standard user so I tried login in as an Administrator of the domain but it gives me error “Error Code 0x80070035”. Sounds very complicated for me. Surprisingly we don’t have any problem browsing internet from the same network, then whats the problem in connecting the domain?

Someone please provide working solution. Many thanks.

Re: Vista cannot connect to network share but reach internet

First of make sure that there is no security software or third party Firewall installed on your Vista such as Norton or any Symantec product because these are well known to block the connection on network, especially on Vista.

Apart from this, follow the below given steps on your Vista system:
    1. Press the Start button
    2. Press Networks
    3. In the left-hand menu, press "Manage network connections"
    4. Right-click "Local Area Connection" and select Properties
    5. Check "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" - this was unchecked for some reason

I have read about Error code 0x80070035 on various websites. They also say that this is error is equivalent to Erro Code 53 which occurs due to a misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall. Not just Firewall, it can be your antivirus software as well. So disable both Firewall and Antivirus and see if it helps. You should also run the Diagnose on Vista using logs from "browstat status","ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation". Reply back with the results.

I really appreciate all your helps and thank you. Yes, my Vista computer is running with Symantec Endpoint Protection and as per your suggestion, it seems like this is the main cause of the problem. I’ll uninstall it as soon as I reach office and let you know the results. Hope it will work. Thanks again.

Re: Mapped Network Drives not connecting over VPN

I know this one is old, but the answer is pretty simple. The problem is name resolution.

The answer is to make sure the DNS suffix search has the DNS domains for the AD DCs, the domain of the DFS root, and the domain of the share server.