Thread: vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network

vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network

I got a laptop which is currently at home and cannot connect to the wireless network via the router. It was working fine when I first purchased the laptop because it was properly setup and was on the WEP security only. Now I have changed it to WPA security and added a new key and even after putting the correct key, the laptop wont connect. So when I checked the properties for the network connection then it was showing 8 digit key but the new key is 22 characters. So, when I type in the key directly then it seems to accept it but will not hold it and revert back to the 8 digit keys? Can anyone tell me how do I solve this problem? Thanks
    Paul at preeve dot plus dot com

Re: vista laptop unable to connect to wireless network

Can you try to put the text ipconfig /all in command prompt when the laptop is not connected to the internet? After that we need to know what hardware version of the router and what firmware are you using on the same, since if a firmware upgrade is require then download it from the manufacturer's website. You could also try to use a simple *WPA2* key and see if that rules out the problem.

Thanks for the concern. After all the things that I have done, I tried another laptop which was also not able to connect. So, I found out that I had a zonealarm firewall that was blocking access even though the whole range for the router was allowed. So, after turning it off, then I connected properly without any issues.

That great news, but you didnt tell us whether you are using the WPA or atleast the WPA2?