Thread: WLAN AutoConfig Service failed to start

WLAN AutoConfig Service failed to start

I’m in need of some urgent help from you all regarding my Windows Vista. Actually this laptop is not able to connect any wireless network. After troubleshooting I found that it is because WLAN AutoConfig Service failed to start. Every time it gives me error saying “Event ID 4002. WLAN AutoConfig Service has failed to Start.”

Sometimes it says “event ID 7023. The WLAN AutoConfig service terminated with the following error: Class not registered.” Does anyone here have any working solution for the same?

Re: WLAN AutoConfig Service failed to start

Hey, even I’m facing exactly same error. In my case the problem actually started two days when i installed Zune 2.1 to sync my Windows Mobile. Today, though I removed Zune, the error exists.

Somebody help please.

Re: WLAN AutoConfig Service failed to start

I searched Google for this error and came to know that you can fix these errors by re-register the dll for the service but they have not provided any reference for the same. One of my friend was also struggling with the same. He actually performed system upgrade using the original Vista installation disk which repaired the system’s files and registry keys without touching third party programs and files.

How to fix the issue

I had the exact same error (Error code 3 - path not found - The system cannot find the path specified.). By using process monitor, I found that it was looking for a folder C:\Windows\L2Schemas\.

This did not exist on my install. By creating this folder (with the correct access rights) and then getting the files that are required (WLAN_profile_v1.xsd etc - these are the Zero config Wireless lan config files ) from another install fixed the problem.

I found if the content of these files is corrupted, then the service starts to fail with all sorts of errors e.g. 2147500037, 2148270086 - depending on the actual file contents - i.e valid XML etc. The order of the content is also important according to the microsoft technet documentation.
    Last edited by mylespInNZ; 23-05-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Missing important info in relation to original post