Thread: Router settings shows 0.0.0.0 IP in defaulty gateway

Router settings shows 0.0.0.0 IP in defaulty gateway

This is a bit weird. On my lan network my friend connected his Vista laptop. At start he was getting error for the connectivity. So verified the settings and found that there is a 0.0.0.0 in the default gateway. I added the settings manually and things went back to normal. It started working. I am bit suspicious that from where does this system got 0.0.0.0 ip address. There is no device on the lan that this ip. It is fine if this the some kind of default settings, but if not then this will be a complicated problem.

Yes it is the default setting. The system is getting that ip address from the DHCP. The router can be the reason behind that. DHCP temporarily allows all devices a ip address through which you can access internet and the same works very well. There is no issue at all. Adding all the details manually is one of the best option that works. You do not need to put everything on automatic. It is also not a very complicated procedure. Sometime the router itself adds everything but sometime we have to manually edit the settings.

Did you tried to unbind the connection for NIC and then check back the connection. I was having the same issue on IPv6. Later on when we remove that the problem was solved. By running ipconfig /all you get the details that you are looking for. If there is nothing detected then your system is not getting valid settings from the router. It can be due to private network. You must go with the manual settings that is going to work only. I cannot even recommend you to go with router setup as you are already on a bigger network.