Thread: How to delete/disconnect a network drive.

How to delete/disconnect a network drive.

I was having a network drive that I had formatted recently and I have also changed the way I store stuff on my network drives. But after when I reconnected the same drive then I found out that I had not disconnected it first and because of that I am not able to remap the network drive to the pc and I am getting this error message everytime "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share". I am able to see the old drive in Windows Explorer but if I right click on it and then choose to disconnect it then I get 'This network connection does not exist'. Is there anyone who can help me out? Thanks

re: How to delete/disconnect a network drive.

I think that you will need to use the net command to delete the drives. Try the command: net use * /d.

re: How to delete/disconnect a network drive.

I think that this will work on Windows XP and there is a same procedure that will work in Vista as well. You will need to have a "Shared Folder" on your hard drive. If you dont have it then try to create a new folder on your hard drive called Shared and then right click on it and choose Properties. After that click the sharing tab and then tick the "Share this folder" box. Now you have to click "my computer" and then go into the Tools Menu and then click Map Network Drive. After that check the down-arrow next to the drive letter shown, just click on the arrow to get a list of letters. Now, choose the one you want to delete and then browse for the Shared Folder and select it. After that you will assign the drive letter to a real folder. Now, ensure that reconnect at login box is un-ticked.Now you have to click the Finish button to get a warning. Answer YES and the Shared folder will open. Close it. Next, right-click the drive in My Computer and select disconnect. Restart the pc and you are good to go on.