Thread: Why is the word "(preferred)" next to my IP Address?

Why is the word "(preferred)" next to my IP Address?

I was recently told by microsoft that if ipconfig is showing the text "Preferred" next to my IP Address, then that DHCP will not work right and that it might be affecting the ability to Share a folder to another computer. I am not able to find any solution for this issue? Can anyone tell me what should I do? Thanks.

Re: Why is the word "(preferred)" next to my IP Address?

Could you please tell is where is your DHCP server? And what is the specific problem that you are having, you need to tell us in detail.

The DHCP server that I am using is in my Linksys router. The issue that I am facing is that it seems to be impossible for me to share a folder with another computer. I am not able to get the Vista computer to show up on any other computer. When asked microsoft about this problem then they told me it is because preferred means that Vista is assigning itself an IP address and not the DHCP.

Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to shared folders, including the public folder (if shared), requires a user name and password. Simple file sharing is enabled by default in Windows XP Home Edition. More information can be found here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

There is an article that describes how to use Windows XP to share a printer with others on your network. The File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks component allows other computers on a network to access resources on your computer by using a Microsoft network. Check this link - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/l.../bb457001.aspx

I think that you will need to turn on Simple File Sharing in Windows XP, for that follow the below method:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Computer on the desktop.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)