Thread: Windows Vista wi-fi slow at startup

Windows Vista wi-fi slow at startup

Everytime on Startup the wifi connection took long time to get activated. I am using Windows Vista. It takes around 10 to 2 minutes to get a working active connection. The boot time is really good, but wifi starts at a very slow rate. The issue is not only on my workstation but on all. I am trying to work on the boot time. It has been getting increased day by day. I just want to improve the wifi start time also. Is there any reason why Vista took so much time to configure a active network connection.

When you start the system at the system tray what notification do you see. Do you see a yellow exclamation mark. The mark remains till the system is not able to get a proper authentication in the network. Sometime when you open Network and Sharing center you can see it is stuck on identifying the network. The issue common on public network. The Wifi SSID takes long time to appear. You can improve this issue by manually assigning a static ip address to the system.

re: Windows Vista wi-fi slow at startup

I am too getting the same kind of problem. It is a bit annoying why this happen in Vista only. The computer boots up normally and there is no problem with that. But somehow it halts for a while and tries to detect the existing internet connection. It takes time and sometime it is connected instantly. I am bit doubtful why this error keeps on irritating me. I am having a McAfee antivirus in the system. I hope the antivirus is not the reason behind that. I had updated the drivers, checked windows update and verified all those settings which is required but still the problem lies the same.

I am having a 32bit Windows Vista laptop. I am facing the same issue on that. While I had install XP on it on a separate partition. In Windows XP I had to turn on the wifi and it is connected instantly. In Vista it takes some time to get the connection. Sometime there is a bit connectivity failure also. I later on found number of forums that Windows Vista is not good at wifi network. Even driver update cannot help much. The system takes a long time to get the wifi ssid. It is a protected network.

I had formatted my system and installed Vista hoping that the new OS is much better compared to the older one. I arrange all the required drivers for it. It was working well. After windows update there was some problem with the lan. I am using a Ethernet cable to join my office network. When I connect that it keeps on searching the lan connection and does nothing. After a few while there is a yellow exclamation mark at the corner end. I had to manually configure the IP and then it works well. There was no drop nor any failure. So I think you will also need to add all the required settings manually and then check back.

This will be a bit weird but it really worked in my network. My Vista computer was also consuming a bit long time to establish a wifi connection. It take time to recognize it. Later on I remove iTunes from the system and it started working well. At the system start it was just in seconds the wifi connection was established. I do not understand the relation with wifi but there can be some internal files which are not compatible and causing the failure. You can run registry cleaner to improve your system performance.

I had faced the issue just today. My desktop has a Vista Business x64 edition OS. I had installed a pci wifi lan card in it. The model number of the card is Linksys WMP54GS. I am using this for long time. It is almost 6 months now. I had updated windows and did some cleaning. I wiped out unwanted software. Later on when the system restarted the wifi connection stuck on a yellow exclamation mark. It took around 5 minutes to the network to connect properly. I do not know what I removed which has caused this failure.

You have accidentally removed some important update or driver which is necessary for the wifi card. Due to which you are getting that error. I will advice you to run Windows Update to find proper update for the same. Or the best thing you can do is connect a wifi router in your network. I am sure that this is going to solve the problem. I was facing the same issue while playing online games. The network drop after a few minutes. After adding a wifi router things went back to normal and it is working really well.

There is one short settings that can help you. Launch Windows Defender and then go to Tools > General Settings. Remove the tick from Application registration. Then check the settings for Real-time protection also. Save the changes and restart Windows Vista. Now your internet connection will not cause any issue. I had found this from the official forum of microsoft and this trick really works. Whoever facing a slow wifi connectivity problem on Vista startup must do this. Also check that your antivirus is not causing the same kind of problem.

When I face the issue I just logout my system and login back again. It starts working fine. The system does not get a wifi connectivity when it wake from sleep mode. I had permanently disabled that. Vista has some bug with hibernation and sleep mode due to which it does not work well. I thought there will be set of option available to fix the problem but still it becomes a bit complicated. And for wifi the problem is much slower.