Thread: Vista Ultimate: Wireless network connection problems and slow internet access

Vista Ultimate: Wireless network connection problems and slow internet access

I have a Dell inspiron computer and am using a Dlink USB wireless adapter and Netgear wireless router. The problem that I am facing is when ever I starup my computer then the adapter wont connect to the router automatically, so I have to put sometime to get it to see my router first and then connect to it. After connection, when I click on URL then sometimes the response is immediate but other times it may take 15-20 seconds before the page appears. Also, sometimes I get timeouts when using iTunes and other applications. Also, there is a stop in between the downloading, in XP it was fine. When I was using previous Netgear WPN111 adapter then I was having some problem of dropping its connection to my router and to resolve it I had to unplug and then replug the adapter or sometimes I had to restart the computer to get it working. So does anyone know how to sort this problem? Thanks

There seems to be some problem with the Netgear Wireless NIC Cards with Windows Vista and when I called their tech support then they told me, perhaps a updated driver may solve this issue, but till now there hasnt been any news or release of this updated drivers, so I went back to Cat5 cable connection which is working fine for me.

You can try to disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows Vista, follow the below steps:

1. Click Start and then type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
      In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    7. Close Registry Editor.