Thread: LaCie Ethernet disk and Vista

LaCie Ethernet disk and Vista

I have Windows Vista on my computer and have got a LaCie ethernet hard drive which was supposed to be compatible with the same operating system. I am able to access the drive from Windows explorer by typing in the address that I can see my router that has assigned it and I am also able to setup the user accounts and passwords to match my Vista user account but anything that I will do, I am not able to make the disk appear in the network center. And thus unable to map the drive which makes the drive useless as Network Attached Storage. Is there any fix for this problem? Thanks.

RE: LaCie Ethernet disk and Vista

I am having the LaCie NAS drive as well and I am able to see it in Vista's network centre but I am not able to create files or folders on it. It is attached to a Netgear router and even though the LaCie IP configuration tool is not working, Vista will still recognize the disk fine. Are you able to see the NAS drive in the attached devices panel of your router config tool? Can anyone tell me how to create folders on same? Thanks

When you go to the config on the Lacie box, then ensure that you have created users identical to those that you logon to Vista with the same username and password. After that ensure that these users are permissioned to for access to the share. After that if you want the disk appear in the network neighborhood of Vista then make sure that ther were both in the same Windows workgroup and also check the settings in the desktop firewall for the friendly network, just allow all comms to be open from devices on the home subnet and that will work.

I have had exactly the same probs with a Lacie 1TB ethernet drive. However, I have recently discovered that if I do the following it now works! Please dont ask me why as I am certainly no expert, but it just does!

1) I mapped the drive so that it show up in "Computer".

2) Right click on the drive, and create a shortcut on the desktop.

3) Now if I click on the desktop icon to open the LaCie, it always opens, yet still if I click on the icon in "Computer" I have a problem!

Please note however that if I turn off my PC I cannot get the Lacie to open automatically, but I have now set the machine never to turn off so I only have problems after a restart, but as I said I can always open the LaCie from the desktop icon.

I would also just like to say that I also have been trying to get support from LaCie technical, but they really are useless, it seems that every time you send them information, a different person must read it, and they don't bother to read the previous contacts, and send some useless comment like "Just map the LaCie to your PC" - However, my local dealer has now given me a phone number for LaCie tech help, and I will keep everyone posted as to how I get on. If any good I will post the number here.
    Last edited by George Render; 21-08-2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Typing error

Mmm after posting last reply (see above) I started to have problems again. After trying LaCie tech support! (how useless are they?) I thought as a last resort I would contact BT IT support desk. The guy there was a star - he spent over an hour via remote access trying to sort this out. In the end he changed network settings on my PC so that the PC now has a static IP, and also the LaCie has static IP - hey presto, now works every time.