Thread: Vista is VERY Slow with Remote Desktop to Windows 2003 server

We have a Windows 2003 server domain with various XP as well as Vista clients. I’m working with windows vista connected to this domain. When I try loggin in to remote desktop, it takes about 5 to 7 minutes to get the desktop. In the same time if I login with XP to the same domain remote desktop, it gets the desktop in about 30 seconds like its my local PC.

So my question is if XP (which is just next to me) can login so fast, whats the problem with Vista? Is there anyway we can make it to work fast like Vista? Please help.

Re: Vista is VERY Slow with Remote Desktop to Windows 2003 server

I am not getting why you are facing such problem because even I’m using RDP to several 2003 servers every day with Vista and XP and haven’t noticed any such difference in these operating system’s performance. Can you just tell me if Is the server on the local network or is it remote? Also are you facing slow performance while using cached domain credentials? The reason behind this is if you try login in to a domain normally it may take few minutes but if you remove the network cable and logon using cached domain credentials it takes just a matter of seconds.

Re: Vista is VERY Slow with Remote Desktop to Windows 2003 server

Thank you very much for the help and suggestion Pugsly, I’ll surely check it out but meanwhile I found something new. The problem am facing is not just with the remote desktop, even if I trey downloading something using Internet explorer, I get speed of about 900 kbps and at the same time firefox gives me 3 kbps. Any idea what is going on?

RE: Vista is VERY Slow with Remote Desktop to Windows2003 Server

Even I have a very very similar situation. Me too getting slow performance with Vista on domain whereas XP works fine. After doing a lot of research finally I found something that seems to be the cause of problem. When a user logs in to the domain, several printers are mapped to that computer based on the active directory. Surprisingly when I changed the computer to an AD without printers, the login time was similar as win xp machines, blazing fast.

So I believe that this is something in group policy concerning printer deployment between xp and vista. Here I need help from you all guys. Please tell me how can I map a printer to a vista machine based on the active directory?

RE: Login to Domain is slow

If you are using Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 2 then simplay apply the registry fix provided in the following KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936594. I had the same problems and solved by this.