Thread: Auto connect my local area connection at startup

Auto connect my local area connection at startup

I am running Vista home premium with a broadband dsl local area connection using PPPoE. My connection is fine except that I can't figure out how to get Windows to auto connect at startup (I have to do Start -> Connect To , and then click connect). Is there a way to include this step in the tasks run at startup (or did I somehow incorrectly set up my connection)?

RE: Auto connect my local area connection at startup

I am having the same problem. I just got a new computer for my parents and I guarantee this is going to be complicated for them unless I can make it auto-run somehow. With this new Vista style networking view, I can't make a shortcut to use it in startup programs like I would have in the past. There's got to be a way however, I'm sure plenty of people buying new machines still have PPPOE connections to their ISP's.

If you right click on the network icon in the system tray, choose Network and Sharing Center. Then click on "Manage network connections" along the left navigation pane. Then, right click on the connection you'd like to automatically connect to and click, "Set as Default Connection".

I had the exact same problem as described below, but the solution you described did not work. After bootup, the network icon still shows "Limited Connectivity". If I click to connect, its fine, but it just won't come up automatically on startup. The connection from my PC to the ADSL modem is through Ethernet, not USB. I had tried placing the Broadband network connection icon in the startup folder, but that did not work either (so I removed it from there).