Thread: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

After buying a new laptop recently I had found that there was a error with Windows Vista Home Premium. The laptop model is Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop. There is a Linksys WRT54G router attached to the laptop and it is the only source through which I can share the lan an d internet. But the laptop fails to connect with the router. I am trying to hook it on the wifi. First it take a long time to detect the wireless connection and once it was connected there was a constant drop in the connection. I think there is some kind of conflict in the system which is causing the failure. Anyone has any idea how to fix the same.

Try to use a static ip instead of automatic configuration. That will surely help you to deal with the issue. The router DHCP is having some issue with the vista router due to which you are not able to get the active connection. You can try updating the drivers for wifi device. I think that will fix the problem. It is not at all complicated to find new driver updates. You can see the laptop package where you can update the drivers or simply you can visit the official website. Also upgrade the router firmware and then check back again. Go with the Static IP the problem will be solved surely.

This may not be just a Vista problem. I have a Sony laptop with XP that also loses connectivity with Linksys routers all the time. I use a Netgear at home without any problems & have used other brands as well. I have lost my connection with three different Linksys routers (all model WRT54G). I have had to wire into the routers to network in all cases. I'm at work now & don't have my laptop with me. I'll post the laptop model later. I'll try some of the suggestions made earlier to see if I can narrow down the source of the problem (& hopefully solve it!).

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

I had the same problem..

I solved the problem be disabling ip 6 and disabling Upnp on the router configuration screen 192.168.1.1 and goto the Administration Tab on click disable.

regards

Re: Wireless Problems between Linksys WRT54G Router and Sony Vaio VGN-FE870E/H Laptop

I had the same problem..

I solved the problem be disabling ip 6 and disabling Upnp on the router configuration screen 192.168.1.1 and goto the Administration Tab on click disable.

regards
    It worked for me,and saved me a great deal of trouble.Wanted to share this so others would benefit.

I use:VGN-CS16g and the WT54G Linksys Router

I am having a WRT54G router. It is a new one that I bought with the system. I am having a Vista 64bit system. When I try to connect to the internet I am getting a error. I am not able to work with the same. Each time I am getting a connectivity failure error. I had performed a number of settings but none of it worked. I thought the problem lies with the router but the actual bug lies with Vista TCP/IP. Through Windows update you can find a fix that can resolve the error.

Where can I find the area to disable ip6? I found the Upnp. Thanks!

I have a 54G v6.0, with the latest firmware (v1.02.5 build 002, Jan. 9, 2008). My Sony VAIO (VGN-NS140E) had difficulties from the very beginning. I tried disabling IP6 and messing with the router DHCP settings, but to no avail. I was really hoping the latest firmware would fix the problem, since Linksys notes:

Firmware 1.02.2
    - Resolves issue of working with DHCP relay agent.
    - Resolves interoperability issue with WAP54G (repeater mode).
    - Resolves issue with UPnP.

I was able to have some success when I dropped the network from G to B. I no longer lose connectivity, although I do have occasional trouble getting connected. I often have to wait to get connected before I do anything, or else I have to restart in order to get a connection.

I used to have an XP laptop that never had any issues with wireless connectivity, so this is very frustrating. The router doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it, and neither does the laptop. My desktop that connects to the router is still XP, and I'm probably just going to wait for Windows 7 to upgrade my desktop and router.

Just get new drivers and then check back. Old drivers causes common issues and there is no way to deal with the problem. A number of time we bought laptop it comes with pre-installed rivers and there is no guarantee that it work well. So you can try to go on the offiial website and find out fresh drivers and run them in your system. A number of problem is fixed just configuration of fresh drivers and it works well enough. Second thing put the wifi connection on public network. Do not block it by putting a password.

This issue is larger than Windows vista. I just purchased two new laptops, an MSI and a Lenovo - Different wireless adapters, different operating systems, 4 different routers - Office, coffee shop, son and daughter's homes. All routers would kill all connections, including wired. disabled UPnP on all 4 routers and all problems went away on all 4 networks. Not sure why UPnP is not functioning but it seems to be tied to the wireless on the new laptops. If I connected the new laptops with a cable, everything worked ok. If I tried to connect via wireless all crashed. I reset everything and tried it again to reproduce the problem and solution. Disabling UPnP in the routers was indeed the fix. Two liknsys routers, one d-link, and I forget the make of the other one at the moment. Hope this helps those who run into this problem.

Thanks for the tip...so glad I found your posts...worked like a charm! Disabled the ip6 and unchecked upnp.
    Last edited by Barbique00; 08-06-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: added info