Thread: Cannot Enable Media Sharing

Cannot Enable Media Sharing

I’m facing problems with Windows Media Player in Windows Vista Ultimate X64. I was trying to enable Media Sharing in WMP 11, I did all correct settings but it still shows Sharing disabled. This is what it says: "Media sharing is currently disabled, either because the sharing service is not running or your firewall settings have changed. To restart sharing, you must first confirm your sharing settings."

In troubleshooting I found that Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is not running in Services Applet. I tried enabling the same but it stops immediately automatically. No idea why. BTW this is what I found in System log:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service
    Date: 4/30/2007 1:16:06 AM
    Event ID: 14332
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: MediaPC.exampledomain.com
    Description:
    Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x8002801d'.Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of Windows is installed properly.

Somebody please help.

RE: Cannot Enable Media Sharing

I have been through the same problem earlier. Also was not able to start the WMP Sharing Services. After spending enough time finally I came to know that we need to first start two dependancy services, that are SDP Discovery and uPnP Device Host service. Once you started these, now try to run Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. Your problem will be solved.

Stupid vista...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience friends but am too struggling with the same problem on Vista Ultimate and though I have started all services you guys mentioned above, my WMP media sharing is still disabled. Any other help please?