Thread: Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection problems

Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection problems

I have a laptop with Windows Vista installed on it that is connecting via a wifi to a Belkin ADSL modem wireless g router and a desktop connecting via an ethernet cable to the same router. The workgroup on the desktop is being changed to match the Vista workgroup and the laptop shows on the desktop that I cannot connect to it or its shared folders and also the desktop will not show up on the laptop at all. When I am opening the network map in Vista then I am able to see the desktop computer after downloading the LLTD Responder component but I cannot double click on the desktop computer to connect. Can anyone tell me a solution for this issue? Thanks.

Re: Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection problems

It might be that you have not assigned the permissions in the Security tab in Vista because the file that came from other computer might be blocked. So to solve this issue right click on the file and Click Unblock tap to unblock it. Also, if you logon a remote computer and install a software using mapping network drive, you may want to add the the pc where the executive file is located to the trust site or Local intranet.

Re: Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection prob

Thanks for the reply, but I have now solved the problem for me. I had Norton's Internet Security which was blocking the connection and when I disabled it then everything was working fine for me. Thanks.

I was previously using network between my computer and a laptop that was having Windows Xp installed on both computers but now it is not working for the new laptop that I purchased which came with Vista. The issue is the same that is discussed above and I dont have Norton installed, so can anyone suggest some alternative solutions? Thanks.

Re: Home Network Windows Vista laptop + XP Desktop connection prob

You can copy or move files to your Public folder and share them from that location. If you turn on file sharing for the Public folder, anyone with a user account and password on your computer, as well as everyone on your network, will be able to see all the files in your Public folder and subfolders. More information here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ing-essentials