Thread: Cannot rename network adapter in Device Manager

Cannot rename network adapter in Device Manager

My wifi was working slow. I am using a wifi card in my Vista system. So I went into Device Manager and updated the driver. I followed the simple procedure of right clicking on it and then clicking on update drivers. But after that the connection has some issue. I went into Network And Sharing center and tried to rename the network adapter. I am having multiple wifi connection so it is better to rename and remember to which I am connected. But is not allowing to do that. Does this is due to driver update.

That is not caused due to driver update, that is cause due to low privileges. You will require admin account to make that changes or else it will not work. Just login the admin account and then check back. Once you are in the account that allow you full admin access you will be able to rename that. But if you feel that hte problem lies with driver update you can go in Device manager and click on properties. There you can find a driver tab on which you can roll back the drivers and check whether the issue is solved or not.

Did you find anything suspicious in Device Manager. When you click on properties there is a device status box which says that there is some issue with the hardware. I think you must be able to get a working solution. And the problem that you are facing related to renaming the connection is due to low account rights as mentioned above. Vista does not deny admin to modify the name of lan. And if still in the admin account you are not able to do that you must simply scan your system for virus. There is a virus which is causing the failure.

re: Cannot rename network adapter in Device Manager

Thanks a lot glob this solution worked like a charm I used this because somehow windows perfmon does not like the "#" on the instance name, now I can use my lcd display to monitor my network traffic
    thanks!!!!