Thread: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go

Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go

Earlier I was having two Windows XP computers connected to each other via Home Network. I was able to access files and printers on both systems, no problem. Two days ago I upgraded one of these computers to new Windows Vista and did network setup. But now the file access is not like before. I pull out netsetup.exe on a flash drive from XP and tried to install it on Vista which gets failed every time just before the end of installation.

Also now when I check network from Xp, I can see Vista computer but I cannot access it. At the same time when I check Vista network, I cannot see XP. Neither Vista allows me to setup File or Printer sharing.

Somebody please help me out of this.

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go

You might be missing some settings. Even I have Vista and few XP running systems which are connected and working fine. Lets cross check all settings. The very first thing you need to take care is all computers should be running on the same workgroup. To ensure whether all systems are having same workgroup ID just right click My Computer, click Properties and check Computer Name. You can change it by clicking CHANGE button if they are on different workgroup.

Second thing you need to check is set Vista Public Folder to enable sharing, Public Folder is the XP equivalent of Shared Documents on XP. You can do this from Vista Network and File Sharing Center. Better turn off all passwords in network Sharing Center.

See if it works now.

RE: Setting up a home network Xp & Vista no go

Most of the times Windows Firewall or specially any Third Party firewalls create such problems. I came to know about this when I bought a Vista desktop that came prr-installed with Vista and Norton trial. I too was facing the similar problem as yours. Later I came to know that it was Norton firewall running in background which was blocking the connections. I turned it off and problem solved.