Thread: Vista laptop fails to connect on Wifi

Vista laptop fails to connect on Wifi

I am having a new windows vista laptop. I had bought it last night and thought of using it in the morning. There is a wifi network at my home. We all share internet on that. When I turned on the laptop the wifi signal strength detected was awesome. The connectivity is enough good. But when tried to connect I got a error message saying that the wifi association failed as windows is not getting response from the router or ap. It was working fine before. I had tested the same at shop from where I bought it. I am not aware about this wifi settings.

Try to restart your machine and then check back. There can be some kind of connectivity failure due to which you are getting the issue. I had faced the same kind of problem with Windows Vista. There was a good signal but at the time of connection there was same error that you had mentioned. It is a bit annoying to get those error on a working computer. I restarted the system and also restarted the router. There was no problem after that. The laptop was working fine. I think it happens sometime due to connectivity failure.

Did you checked the router settings. Try to put the entire network on public settings and see whether there is a connection or not. If there is still a connectivity failure then you must try to reset your router. Sometime it happens that the router connection fails due to number of reason. There is nothing much you can do. You can put the Vista system on static ip and then check back again. I am sure it is going to work well. On Vista what matters the most is appropriate driver update. And also ensure that your Vista has a compatible wifi standard.

There is error due to improper authentication. Your laptop is not getting authenticated due to which you are facing the issue. I will recommend you scan your network and locate the wifi connection again. It is necessary that you type the router password properly. If there is a tougher protection then you can try to reduce that and as said above just put it on public just for testing purpose. It looks some issue with the authentication with router. Try to reconfigure the same back again and I am sure it is going to work fine.

I had tried to work on my laptop for the same. At start I was getting authentication problem. But later on the issue extended to the connectivity. I am using Windows Vista as well as Windows XP. Means both the systems are on the same wifi network. One of my friend suggested me to update the router firmware. I did the same and it started working. There is no problem at all. It is working well. I am facing connectivity drop problem on Vista, but on Windows XP everything is just enough good.

Uys Guest

unable to connect to my wifi router in the office withmy laptop

So here I am, running a Hp530 Business Notebook with a Broadcom 802.11b/g wifi adapter. In the office I have setup a Mega 105wr router with wifi. Now my laptop runs vista home basic with the IP address set to manual. I am able to see the network but when I connect to it, Vista tells me: " Wireless connection failed because the network denied the association request from this computer". Although all my other windows Xp pc's can connect. The network as no authentication and is unsecure. Please help...

Re: unable to connect to my wifi router in the office with my laptop

Try to change your adapter settings. Go in Network Sharing Center there on the left side you can find Adapter Settings. Click on that and right click on the lan adapter detected. Choose Properties > and then click on TCP/IP. Add the IP address manually and then try to connect. It might work. If you are trying to work on DHCP then you might get this kind of issues. A number of time compared to dynamic, static works in more stable way. It is not at all complicated to work on the same.

re: Vista laptop fails to connect on Wifi

I think the settings of your wifi network does not match with the settings of your router due to which you get that error. There can be two reason behind your issue. First your router is very old with some outdated model and second your Vista laptop is having a non compatible standard for working with the router. You must give a static ip and then check the same back here. I am sure it is going to work well. If still you are facing issue try to contact to the isp for the configuration settings and I am sure it is going to work.

internet connection

Many new laptops is having this kind of problem. There is one way to find whether the problem is with the router or with the laptop. You will need a patch cord for the same. You must connect the laptop directly with the router through patch card and then check. It will be surely detected and start working. That is the where it manages to get proper configuration and it really works. I had contacted a network guy who worked on some settings and it worked. I am bit unaware what is the problem. I think he disabled the security settings.

re: Vista laptop fails to connect on Wifi

There can be a hardware failure also. Check in Device Manager and see whether there is any error in the lan adapter. You must right click on the same and choose update drivers. It is not at all complicated to find proper drivers. And I think rolling out old drivers update would fix up the issue. Somehow there are chances that some windows update had also screwed up the problem. You must wipe out the old windows update and then check back.