Thread: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

I need some help here to deal with the wifi issue on Vista only. There are 5 desktop pc at my home. Among which are connected on the network through ethernet cable and 2 are on wifi. My dad bought a Vista laptop. I had added the laptop to the wifi router. To extend the router bandwidth I had added a hub at the central part of home. This hub supports wifi network to get better range. Now in Vista the wifi is connected but the connection drops in between. I am not able to figure out the reason. When ping a website I am getting request time out error in between and it keeps on failing. I had tried a number of different thing to configure the router but somehow it is not working. Any idea how to fix the same.

It looks like a compatibility problem to me. Due to which you are unable to access the router. There was a issue with me last month on the same platform. My friend brought his Vista laptop and I was struggling to put that on the wifi. Later on after going through some post and found that the issue appear due to incompatible router standards. Somehow I was able to put the laptop on the network by adding manual settings and things were working fine. When I hooked the laptop with manual ip address and other stuff there was no problem with the same. It was working fine. You must also try to do the same and then check back. I think the issue will be solved.

Try to run diagnostic and then check back. Click on the network icon and on the top you can find a option called as troubleshoot. Click on that and then done. You will be able to get a working settings. The diagnostic tool will tell you the exact error and the way to troubleshoot the problem. So to some extent it is not at all complicated. The next thing you can do is you can try updating your wifi driver. It will help you to make your connection more stable. And the last thing is to put your wifi on public network. That means remove all the security password and other stuff. And then check. Sometime some security standards are not identified by Vista.

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

hi guys
    I guess smb. just even lucky to get a 5 minute wi-fi connection, unless like me i can't even establish this connection at all with my host stationary 64bit VISTA and laptop 32bit VISTA. The connection just won't establish at all. I wounder if it has something to do with operation systems bits?
    I've created wireless network with WPA security phrase and gave it a name etc. After the connection is established between machines, i get only local connection and no internet. Driving almost nuts... Any suggestion pls...?

I had the same problem, I fixed it by changing the wireless security on my router to WPA instead of WEP and it worked. Make sure you change the settings on your wireless card also to match the router settings

I am having a similar problem but not quite the same as everyone else. We just got a new desktop with Windows 7. We already have a laptop with Vista and another desktop with XP. All are connected to a Linksys wireless router that is only about 6 months old. When the XP computer is off, the Vista laptop connects to the network just fine. When the XP computer is on, the Vista laptop's wireless connection goes on and off to the point that you can't even pull up a web page. The Windows 7 computer doesn't seem to affect it whether it's on or off but this seems to have just started right after we got the Windows 7. We have tried lots of stuff but nothing seems to work. All Windows updates and driver updates have been done. Anyone else with this issue?