Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Access denied c:\ on vista comp from XP comp

Windows Vista Network

Old 07-03-2007

Access denied c:\ on vista comp from XP comp

I already had 4 windows xp computers on my home wireless network with file sharing enabled. I recently installed Windows Vista on one more desktop and connected to network. I can access each and every files from my all Win XP computers fine, no problem. Also am able to access Vistaís D drive on all XP computers but when I try accessing C drive of Vista, it says Access Denied.

I have shared C drive as well but it is not allowing me to access from other computers. I have very well experience of these sharing as am doing it successfully since last 4 years on various computers, hence have made all correct settings but still donít know what is wrong. Am I missing something? Can anyone here please help me out for the same?

Old 07-03-2007

RE: Access denied c:\ on vista comp from XP comp

Hello VauGhna, do you have any third party firewall installed on your any system or router? If yes, you will need to remove it first. If still problem exists, try disabling windows firewall and try to access the files. Other than this, you can follow the below steps:
  • Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
  • If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  • Click OK.
Old 20-03-2007

Re: Access denied c:\ on vista comp from XP comp

Probably it could be the permission issue or you might have missed some settings. Do one thing, right click the drive you want to share, choose Properties, go to the Security tab, and permit Everyone access to this drive. It should not give access denied error any more. But why you want to share C drive? It is the system partition, right?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Tags: ,