Thread: Sharing printer on XP machine with Vista machine

Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine

I need some help here from the person who knows well about printer sharing on a network. There are 3 computers on the network. Two are on Windows XP and one is on Windows Vista. I had configured all of them to share files and printer. I had managed to get file sharing to work properly but the printer which is connected to a XP computer is not visible on the network. I added everyone in the sharing list so that all can access the files and printer without facing any issue. I tried to add printer a number of time but it is only not visible in Vista. I is working in Windows XP. Does anyone has idea why this is happening.

The problem can be due to UAC. You must disable that and then check back. But if it is disabled then check the firewall. I a sure some security settings or application on Windows Vista is causing the printer to connect on the shared network. It might be a bit annoying to work in Vista for sharing purpose. That reason I always keep all the settings on public and it works wells. There is no problem at all. Just go to security settings of Vista and disable and then check back. The printer will be visible.

I was searching for the exact cause behind the problem. Later on someone told me that there is a small tool that can carry out your burden of sharing files and printer on web. The tool is called as Network Magic. This tool is available for free on the web. You can download and test the same. I had faced a problem while connecting a ps3 and xbox on the network. It was not working at all. I was a bit annoyed with the configuration. Later on I found network magic that sorted the issue. I think you must try the same.

xp vista printer

If you are still interested, solution looks like these:

1. Install latest Vista drivers for your printer on the vista machine;

2. Open Control Panel -> Printers, will see the new printer installed;

3. Open properties on that printer ang go to ports tab;

4.Add New Port -> Local and when it asks for port name enter the IP of the XP machine and printer name of the printer connected to it.

Should look like this for ex. \\192.168.2.101\SamsungM

Important:
    Your printer should all the time during the proces be turn on and connected to the XP machine.
    No need to connect the printer to the Vista machine.

Try it.

Many thanks to Marst194 and a heads up to fellow microsoft printer victims: This fix really works, first time I have been able to access my printer! Like the man says, just try it! (For average folk, you may also need to know that you can find your IP address by typing ipconfig in the Command Prompt window, and the name of the printer is NOT the share name you gave it in the XP share dialogue, it is the simple machine name (e.g. HP LaserJet 4). Thanks again!