Thread: No access to WAN network shares over VPN

I have 2 system, one running windows Server 2003 and the other running windows vista. For some unknown reason i am not able to access any share "outside the LAN". I have configured the windows server as domain controller, VPN-Server, DNS-Server, File-Server but i don't know for what reason i am not able to access any share "outside the LAN". What can i do to fix this issue. Help regrading this issue will be appreciated.

This has been a common issue and there is a new hotfix KB933468 for fixing it. I was running in to same issue few weeks ago and since installing the hotfix NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not needed any more while connecting to a VPN connection. Just try installing hotfix KB933468 and let me know if your issue gets solved. If you don't get any help form hotfix KB933468 then you can revert back to me for further troubleshooting, best of luck.

Solution: Failure accessing shares over VPN

Yes this has been a bug in Windows Vista. Its not possible to access shares via system running windows vista if NetBT is disabled. This issue has been fixed with a new hotfix KB933468. You can Google out "SMB (port 445) does not bind on Vista over RAS connection ".
    It describes the issue in detail, just try installing hotfix KB933468 and your issue will be resolved. If not, then you can contact Microsoft support and address them your issue in detail. They are already aware of this issue and might suggest you other alternate solution for fixing the issue.