Thread: Solution to fix Wi-Fi problem on Windows Vista

Solution to fix Wi-Fi problem on Windows Vista

If you guys are facing problem with Vista wifi connectivity then here are some of the most common fixes that can help you. I had collected some very useful links from Microsoft website that offers fixes for a number of wifi problems in Vista. I am sure that can help you out to deal with the problem you are facing.

1). This link help you to understand the issue behind IP address. Sometime the system fails to collect a proper IP from the DHCP due to which you get the problem.
    Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

2). The second link is based on the performance problem after connectivity. You can find out some quick tips to improve the wifi performance on Vista.
    You may experience connectivity issues or performance issues when you connect a mobile PC that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 to a wireless access point

3). This link is based on authentication issue. I had seen some threads on this website where people has complained about fail authentication on the network.
    How to enable computer-only authentication for an 802.1X-based network in Windows Vista, in Windows Server 2008, and in Windows XP Service Pack 3

4). This another helpful link to deal with issue behind DHCP on subnet.
    DHCP Does Not Obtain a New Address When EAP Reauthenticates Across Access Points with IP Subnets That Differ

5). Problem occur when your system fails to collect a proper IP config when DHCP is not active.
    When a DHCP server is unavailable on a Windows Vista-based computer, Windows Vista uses an APIPA IP address much sooner than Windows XP does under the same circumstances

6). Problem related to Vista connectivity with off-link addresses.
    Windows Vista cannot connect to any off-link addresses when the default gateway is configured to be the same as the client IP address

That is a set of quiet useful link that is beneficial in dealing with number of different problems while using Windows Vista. But there is nothing mention about firmware upgrade. My router suddenly stopped working. it was constantly dropping connection. I was not able to find out a working way for the same. Later in the router settings I found a option to update router firmware and I performed the same. It started working. There was no problem at all. A number of major router problems are fixed by firmware upgrade.

I am having two problems on my system. I am having a PC. I upgraded to Vista from XP. Now the upgrade was fine and there was no error at all. There was also no problem with the configuration. I had updated the drivers and even managed my network. Later on the connection dropped. I am using a wifi usb adapter for the same. I do not understand the reason. Updated drivers, changed port and did all the things that were application. On cable connectivity the same internet works very well. There was no problem at all. Later on I bought a pcie wifi lan card and things went back to normal.

The links that are above is applicable for a laptop connectivity. While if we talk about desktop then there are different stuff. I had always seen Vista always has troubles with hardware. I had installed Vista beside Windows XP. There as no issue with the connectivity but somehow the connection drops. The same connection works properly on Windows XP and there was no trouble at all. I hope there will be some working solution that can really work well and offer a proper connectivity.