Thread: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

I have a setup of Home Network with a Windows NT, a Windows XP and a Windows Vista system. Here I am only talking about XP and Vista. Both systems have file sharing enabled. My Win XP is able to see all public folders of Vista (it became possible after installing LLTD) but my Vista is not able to see XP on the network.

Second problem is, though XP can see Vista files and shared printers, when I try to access them, it says access denied. When I ran network diagnostics on Vista after entering \\MSAUERS3, it gives me the following message: “MSAUERS3 is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.”

I tried searching web for some help on this and found people saying to disable third party firewalls. Well I don’t have any third party firewall installed on my computer, even disabled Antivruses on both systems but still the problem exists. Any suggestions on this please?

Though you don’t have any third party firewall on any of your PCs, you must also allow File and Printer Sharing through your built-in Windows firewall on both computers. Apart from this, are you able to ping each other by IP?

anyone still struggling to access xp from vista

I couldn't access xp folders from vista, so thought i would try radmin 3 to see if i could control another pc on my network, and as i thought i could i then realised my network was not connected when i installed vista so went to
    CONTROL PANEL>PROGRAMS AND FEATURES>TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF
    click this and then scroll down and check the necessary network features are enabled

Mat Mchugh

Hi Michael,

I cannot say for certain what i enabled as my pc with vista ultimate on is currentely being re-installed as i have a mobo withe the nforce2 chipset (leadtek kncr18gm)
    and needed to re-install to sort out a few probs with the sound but that'll be all fixed soon.
    But if you look there was a short description of what each one does either by the side of it or if you hold the mouse over it
    i also went to my network connection properties page>client for microsoft networks and selected windows locator
    i also disabled ipv6 whilst i set up the ipv4 then once i had the ipv4 working using a manually configured ip i manually configured the ipv6 and it worked.
    I had to edit the registry to disable ipv6 tunneling interface
    I am sorry if this is difficult to understand/implement but i only have about 30hrs actual vista experience. i wrote a tutorial on how to set up which i will post up here in a bit as it's on my nforce2 pc which according to a e-mail i recieved off nvidia "cannot run vista" but can, perfectly,(my re-installing was down to bios issues)

i advise using tools like radmin and the like as i could access vista files from xp home but could control the xp remotely from vista, which meant traffic could go both ways but the vista computers necessary networking features hadn't been enabled, but at first i couldn't even see the xp computer

i will post the tutorial as soon as vista's back on
    mat

vista can't access XP

please can you send a copy of the tuturials to my mailbox (kingsley4christ777@yahoo.com). I am also experiencing this challenge in using windows vista.