Thread: Intermittent internet connection on Windows Vista

Intermittent internet connection on Windows Vista

I am facing a network issue with my Vista system. It is a desktop pc. Recently after Windows XP upgrade there was constant problem with lan connectivity. I updated the drivers but somehow it started working after windows update. Now when I leave the system on idle the internet access stops working. I have to restart the computer and then only it works back properly. Sometime I have to keep my system turned off for sometime. I am not able to find any appropriate solution for the same. Is there a way where I can keep the internet connectivity constant. Thanks.

Did you checked the network settings. I had faced the same issue due to router ip. Everytime on boot the system forgets the router ip address and on automatic configuration it just did not work. I have to manually add the ip address. This is a bit weird problem with Vista. It is complicated to find whether the problem lies with Windows or with the router or modem. I am able to see the other settings. The router IP address only wipe out and I have to add that manually every time on start.

It can be due to hibernating. Vista is a buggy OS. The settings are just not saved. I added the ip address manually but when the system wake back from the sleep mode it is lost. I add them again and it works fine. In your case I think the problem lies with lan adapter. It is not able to get proper configuration. While you said on reboot it get backs to normal. If your system in under warranty then the best thing is to carry that to your nearest service center and show them the motherboard.

I am also facing the same kind of issue. The network breaks in gap of 20 seconds. I checked the connectivity settings but the problem still persist. After configuration and tons of settings I bought a lan card. It started working. So the problem was not with the modem or router it with the lan card. After appropriate configuration only it started working and there was no issue at all. I had contacted my isp a number of time who always says that internet is working well. He told me to ping my lan card and then I came to know that the adapter is wasted.

Try to add static ip to your system. You can find that in Network Sharing Center. In the Properties of Local Area Connection you can find the IP settings. You can add all the IP address manually in that with DNS address. You can collect that settings from your ISP. Once it is manually added you can simply get a constant connection. I had did that and my internet problem was solved on Vista. Vista does not has any internal option to configure the settings and save them so that you can import them directly.

There are many bios which are having a internal ethernet tester. When you hit that option it tells you whether the board port is getting reply or not. I always test my lan on it. But if still it is not working then adding a lan card in another wise option. My system was having two lan port. It was a laptop. On both the internet was not working. I thought there is some issue with the hardware. A friend recommended to update the bios and things were solved. Vista has no problem related to settings. If your internet line is not proper you will face such issues.

Possible Fix. Can Ayone Confirm?

I had gone through the same issue after performing a upgrade to vista. It was very annoying and complicated to get proper fix for internet connectivity. Each time when I try to configure my net it lost all the settings. Later on I verified my system properly and found that DHCP client is not started. It is required to access temp ip from the router or modem. I had reset my mode and then reconfigured all stuff from scratch. It started working fine and till today there is no problem at all.

I own a Alienware laptop. It came with Windows Vista installed in it. But somehow there was a issue with internet. When I download stuff the connection drops. It only appears at the time of downloading large files or else things were working fine. On running ping I get error code 1231 related to some issue with dns server. I was really frustrated to fix the problem but still it is not working. While if I surf when the download was turned off things were fine. There was no error at all. It is really weird that vista drop connection on downloading files. The must be slow, the error that I got is some issue with internal configuration.

re: Intermittent internet connection on Windows Vista

Replace your modem and then check back. Most of the bandwidth problem appears due to improper modem. It is unable to manage a constant connection and this type of drops appear. It is recommended that you must ask your internet company to give you a more appropriate working device. In my place I was facing issue with connection drop out which was fixed by changing the existing modem. I had managed the settings a number of time and then it started working.

This can be due to failure of TCP. I am not sure about the exact cause of that but somehow there is a problem with TCP failure and this kind of reason failure. I am having a dual boot system. At one point the system use to work fine but in Vista there is a problem with the configuration. The connectivity was fine but somehow I was not able to get a constant internet connection. It looks some updates screwed up issues. I am trying to find a solution for this. I tried some articles which ays that this can be fixed by re-installing TCP. Yet not tried.

I was also facing the same kind of issue on my Vista network. I am using a Home Premium network. There were 2 nic installed in the same. There are two networks at my home. One is configured with public settings and the other one with private settings. I was browsing on the web and things were working fine in the same. But somehow the internet connectivity failed and I was unable to get video streaming. This happens on the private network. The computer next to me works fine and there was no issue at all.

I think re-installing network adapter can fix the problem. I had did this a number of time whenever I got the error. In my system there is a nvidia nforce networking controller installed. When I checked in the properties I found that the device is working properly. There is no issue with the configuration. I had also disabled the firewall settings and my antivirus. Everything looks to be working proper, but somehow the settings cause the network failure. Upon re-installation things went back to normal.

It my system on Windows I hardly face this kind of issue. To fix that I just enable and disable the adapter. Then things went back to normal. Some Vista system are far more buggy for network configuration. For that reason using a additional lan card is more better. Also it is complicated to share internet connections on this kind of devices. I always use a router in between. There is no need to add the lan settings in that. Due to auto dhcp it is configured on its own.

My system is also having the same kind of issue. And this only appears when I am on wifi. Or else on lan things are much better. My wifi just drop instantly when the net is on. I shared the internet through laptop wifi. I do not use a router. Later on I contacted the ISO complain them about the drop. Also my laptop keeps on loosing a ip address. So it is a straight bug from the isp side not from our end. You must complain your network provider for the same.