Thread: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help

Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help

I am running Vista on a Toshiba machine which I am using to print on a small 2 networked computer to a Compaq laptop that is running Windows XP. There are 2 HP printers connected to the Compaq. If I connect a printer directly to the Vista laptop, all printing functions respond normally. But when I am trying to print through the network - from the Vista laptop via wireless or lan cable - the following things happen. If I am sending a Word document to print it can take as long 15 or seconds or more for the print dialog box to appear. When you press OK to print - it is delayed another few seconds. If I make a minor change in the Word document and then try to print again, the printing dialog box takes about half the time to appear - around 10 seconds. What settings should i use to fix this issue?

Even I am facing the same issue and there is no solution that I have found for it. When I am trying to print from Vista to XP then it is very slow but from vista to vista it is fine.

Can you go to Control Panel and then choose the printer and then select Add Printer. After that select add a local printer and then click on create a new port. The default in the drop down box is local port and then do not change that, and click next. After that a box will appear and it will ask for you to enter a port name. And then type in the \\computer name\printer name, that is my computers name and the printer name.

I already use this method for my network printers, and I still am having issues with slow printer dialog being displayed. Everything was humming along just fine until I installed SP3. I would HOPE I wouldn't have to redo this - ESPECIALLY with the rest of the users. It's one thing to have to do it for myself, and another to do it for everyone on the network.

Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help

Thankyou for the magical advice. You r a genius.