Thread: Slow copying files over network

Slow copying files over network

There is a weird problem in my network. I have a NetGear GS605 switch. I have around 4 computers connected on it. I had checked the specification of switch which shows that it can offer me a 50mp per second data transfer rate. But from last week it has became extremely slow. I cannot get a proper data transfer ration here. I have central server which is having large video files. Each file is in gb's. At start I use to get fast transfer speed. The data is moved in minutes but now it takes long time. I do not know why. Should I change my network card.

I am also having the same issue. The switch that I purchased is capable of giving 3-4mb per second transfer speed at the most lowest ratio. But somehow it is very slow. I updated the driver of may lan adapter and there was a bit improvement in the performance. But I am not getting what I had expected. It looks the switch is not performing at its optimum power. Here is a microsoft link that some information on issue like this. I am not able to understand anything from it. I think anyone can put more highlight on the problem.

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

There is a hotfix provided on the microsoft site. You can try applying that. It is a common bug with many network. The switch is capable of giving you a good data transfer but sometime difference in standard cause the speed fluctuation. You can try to check the cable and see what is the changes after putting a new cable. Run windows update and then ensure that you get some fix related to the lan connectivity. Also the media server that you are using must be a good computer with proper hardware. If it is not capable of giving high speed data transfer then it is a waste of time.

Some switches says that it gives a high speed data transfer ability but it does not work in that way. You can simply get a 5mb per second data transfer rate which is quiet enough. Above that it is a bit complicated to get higher speed. I will recommend you to ensure that your switch is configured properly and get satisfied with what you are getting. Or else you can go for a switch with much better configuration.

There can be issue with your network interface also. Update your system drivers and then check once again. I am sure you will get a better transfer speed. Also it depends on ethernet port or card you are using. I bought a lan pci card that offers 1GB transfer speed and it really works well. I added that on the server and there is no problem at all. You must upgrade your hardware if you are getting a poor speed. There are some software on the web that can give you more information on deal with the problem.

If you are windows vista then there is nothing you can do. I am having quiet bad experience in working on Vista. I am not all happy to use Vista for backup support. It work slower then windows xp. I scheduled a backup software that works automatically in the background after a interval of every 2 hour. It copies all the files from existing hardware to the server. But when the backup start a number of users has complaint about low hardware. It is very annoying to have this kind of issues. It is right that if you have a better hardware then it works more better way.

I am getting the same on a high speed switch who maximum speed was expected around 1mb per second. But it is very slow. I tried to add a additional pci lan card in every system and now I am getting 4mb per second. I think it lies in the hardware to fix this kind of problem. I am creating a test environment where I can simply transfer the files instantly over the web and it is not at all complicated to do that. It allows to you to learn about critical backup process. It is necessary that you must use the best hardware if you are planing to have constant backup support.

I had tested the network transfer speed among different operating system. Like when I transfer the data among Vista and XP computer then it works slow. But when I do that between Vista and linux I get a much better speed on the same hardware. I am using a third party file transfer program called as teracopy. It is one of the best software to get high data transfer speed.

Re: Slow copying files over network

I was expecting to get a nice 5mbps bandwidth on the lan in Vista. I am using a server environment were the workstations comes with sata 3.0 drives and netgear switch. Compared to you guys I am having a good speed, but working in large environment demands more. I am trying to look for some batch copy software which can help me to exceed 5mbps transfer ration and I am sure this is possible.