Thread: vista -> xp wireless network

vista -> xp wireless network

I already had a Windows Xp computer desktop connected with my home Wireless Network. Recently bought a brand new Dell desktop which came with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. It is connected with the same network and able to get online. But the problem am facing is Vista is not able to see XP in the network.

When I searching Vista on network, XP is able to see it but cannot access it files. Both of these systems are not able to ping each other as well. Any idea what settings am I missing? Please help.

There are few most important settings that we need to do in order to make successful file sharing. First of all make sure that all PCs have same workgroup name with same username and password. Second, you should not be running ant third party firewalls on any of your systems. Also add file and printer sharing in exception list in Windows built-in firewall.

If you need more help on such kind of settings just check out these article: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/bb727037

Re: vista -> xp wireless network

I have the same problem - Vista and XP. My main computer is on Vista and my network is set up there. I have done all the correct steps (that I know of) Both computers report that the network is working, but when I try to see the XP computer with the Vista - no joy. The XP computer shows my network, but when I try to connect - "limited connectivity". Again, no joy.
    I spent three hours on line with Belkin changing settings and running tests. Belkin rep finally gave up and told me to send back the router for replacement -- new router arrived and guess what -- same problem. I am about ready to throw the thing in the river. Anybody got this thing figured out yet? I have given up. (By the way - the XP computer can connect with my neighbor's network!!)

Re: vista -> xp wireless network

I have a similar problem but within two Vista operating systems.
    When I establish Internet Connection Sharing between the two, are there any Windows Firewall modifications to be made manually? Also like the Norton mentioned in a previous post, does the Windows Security Essentials have any things to do with LAN or ICS funtions? Thanks