Thread: Cannot access shared folder of Windows XP through Windows Vista

Cannot access shared folder of Windows XP through Windows Vista

I had attached a new computer on the lan. It is a vista system. There are 3 other computesr which are running on Windows XP. I had shared some files on it and Vista is not able to see them. When I try to access the shared files the system freezes. Compare to that when I share folder on Windows Vista the XP system is able to access the same. So this is a bit weird issue with Windows Vista. The file is not able to share at all. I hope there will be some way that can allow me to fix the problem.

It is a file permission issue. It is necessary that you must modify the permission and allow all to accept the file. You can go in network sharing center and manage the settings and configure that on public. Then it is surely going to work. I had been working with Vista file permission from a long time and compare to Windows XP this is abit confusing. I think you have to manage the settings through network and sharing center and then check back. The easiest way is to put the Vista laptop on same workgroup and then simply convert your existing network to public network.

You Need to Enable net bios over Tcp/ip That worked for me after hours of messing with windows firewall hope this helps.

Hello,

Had the same problem after a long time of it working fine. I had tried to optimize my connection and changed some of my router settings.

I have a Dlink DI-615. In ADVANCED-> ADVANCED WIRELESS make sure you DON'T have the WLAN PARTITION enabled..

With it enabled I could still see the XP machine from Vista; however, it could not access it. Disabling this option and everything worked fine.

Post back if this worked for anyone!