Thread: Unidentified Network

Unidentified Network

I have got 2 lan onboard and on lan 1 I am running auto ip address via cable modem. But Vista will not identify it and does not work. On lan 2, I have set static ip address for my home peer-to-peer network. Vista notifies as unidentified and it will not let me change the name on lan 1 and if I change it to a private network, it changes back to a public network after a reboot. The Cable modem is working fine, i had called my ISP and said it is fine. How to get Vista to identify network.

I have got some suggestions for you all. First try to have ICS working DHCP serving should be enabled on Vista computers and it doesnt seem so, as the Windows XP service pack 2 computer cannot get IP from Vista. Everytime I turn ICS on it set the static IP (192.168.0.1), but on the wrong adapter (the cable modem one)! The effect is the neither Internet connection nor ad-hoc network works properly. So for Vista, for now turn the auto IP settings on for cable modem. It should connect to internet. If you need network connection with another computer then set IP manually on both.

Re: Unidentified Network

Yeah it seems to be an issue with the router. I have purchased a new linksys router and everything was working fine then. Also it seems that not all the routers and hubs are compatible with Windows Vista according to Microsoft.

This was a helpful discussion. I have a similar situation to the one discussed:

- Network 1: Shared internet connection to Verizon Wireless using my tethered Palm Treo and Vista Internet connection sharing (ICS)

- Network 2: LAN card connected to a Buffalo router being used as a network switch and wireless access point

The ICS works fine. It sets the LAN card IP address to 192.168.0.1 and enables DHCP, which assigns IP addresses to other computers on the network.

The problem is with network 2 which, when ICS is enabled, shows up as an unidentified network that I cannot rename. By default, unidentified networks are public in Vista, which means that network discovery is off and I can't see the other computers on the network. At this point I can do one of two things: (1) I can change this unidentified network to a private network which enables me to see other computers, but when I restart the computer this connection reverts back to public and I have to reset it. Or (2), I can enable network discovery in the "Sharing and Discovery" section of the "Network and Sharing" window, but this enables network discovery for all public networks -- which I do not want to do, since I sometimes use this computer in public locations.

The solution that worked for two users above -- setting the gateway to the IP address of the computer (which for me is 192.168.0.1, the IP address assigned by ICS) -- did not work for me. Vista kept reverting back to blanks in the gateway IP address.

[If you're not familiar with how to change IP addresses, simply right click on the connection in the "Network Connections" window, which you can get to from the Network and Sharing window by clicking on "Manage Network Connections," then choose "Properties" and double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4."]

The solution that did work for me, which I was led to by thinking about this thread, was setting the gateway to the (fixed) IP address of the wireless access point to which my computer is connected. Success! Now Vista identifies the network and I can rename it and choose a private status.

[This solution may require you to set a fixed IP address for the access point, which you can do through the setup pages of your access point. I use 192.168.0.101. I actually have another Buffalo router connected to the same network to extend my wireless coverage, which has the IP address 192.168.0.102. Wireless laptops, a second hardwired desktop and a hardwired network printer get their IP addresses from the computer with the shared connection, which acts as a DHCP server.]