Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't Access Printer- Access Denied.

Windows Vista Network

Old 02-10-2006

Can't Access Printer- Access Denied.

I have a Vista RC1 box and I am trying to access a Lexmark X1185 printer from the same OS. This printer is connected to a Windows XP with Service Pack 2 machine. I have enabled file and printer sharing on both computer and I am able to access the share folder on the XP machine from Vista. But when I try to add the shared printer on Vista, then it keeps giving me "Access is denied" error message. Can anyone tell me a way to get rid of this error? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2006

Re: Can't Access Printer- Access Denied.

Even I am getting the same thing on my machine. This problem is happening not for me alone but for many users out there as well. Can anyone find a soluton for this error?
Old 02-10-2006

I think that XP home uses the guest account for sharing and in Vista the guest account is disabled. Can you try to create an admin account on XP home and with the same username and password you have to use on Vista computer as well. After that boot the XP home computer into safe mode and logon as adminitrator. After that in the security tab of the printer the properties ensure the user that you have just added has proper permissions. Have you tried disabling the UAC temporarily?
Old 26-10-2009

Re: Can't Access Printer- Access Denied.

Big K, enable Guest User Account on both machines then it will work. (You don't need to sign on to the Guest User Account but just enable them)

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Windows Vista Network