Thread: Cannot see workgroup computers

Cannot see workgroup computers

I am using Windows Vista RC build and I am not able to see any of the computers in my workgroup that are having Windows XP and Windows 2000 installed. I have already changed the name of the workgroup in Vista to reflect the workgroup name and also have enabled discovery. I am getting the network identified as a private network. I am also able to ping all the computers on the network but still Vista wont recognize them. Can anyone please help.

I have read from somewhere that we need to install LLDR on an XP box but even after installing it and then restarting both the machines, it is still not able to see the XP box or anything else in the workgroup?

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers

Are you not able to see anything under Network in Explorer or so? If you go to start and then in Run, type \\othercomputername and press Enter then what happens? You will have to enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP by going into Network connection >> Properties >> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) >> Properties >> Advanced. Vista will interoperate with XP and 2003 computers that dont have the LLTD Responder installed. So try to download it from here and then it will allow XP computers to appear in the Network Map.