Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can connect to router but not to internet?

Can connect to router but not to internet?

I am facing problem with Windows Vista. It only desktop pc. It is newly assembled system and I had configure router on the same. I had attached everything and it looks all stuff is working fine. But some how the router fails to work. The internet is working fine but somehow I cannot share files over the router. when I hook the laptop on the router nothing works out. And when I connect the laptop to the modem and internet starts working. I was expecting to get everything on the wifi. But there is constant error.

I am getting the same issue with wifi on my network. I had attached a router in between and somehow the connectivity fails. I found settings that really worked out. You can find that in Internet Options There you can find a option called as enable protected mode. You can apply that and check back again. You have to wipe out the settings of TCP/IP. You can disable the IP configuration and put that on Automatic. Then test the same back again. I am sure it is going to work well. Also try to reset the router settings and then check the same.

Re: Can connect to router but not to internet?

Every router comes with a setup wizard disc. And if you are not having the disc then you can run the setup wizard from the router page itself. I had configured my router through that. First I had connected the router to the modem and the setup wizard help me to configure internet connection automatically. I juts have to add the internet login details and that all. And if you are not having a cd you can use the internet network setup that will really help you work with the same.

That is right. You have to run the network setup wizard. There are very few number of routers that comes with automatic configuration quality. That means it adjust the settings automatically. Second thing you will need to do is configure DHCP settings. This is necessary to provide automatic ip settings. The network setup wizard itself configures the network settings and enable the network with require options. If still this does not work then change the router. There is a hardware failure.

RE: Can connect to router but not to internet?

I think Vista has some kind of compatibility problem with Vista. I am using a 64bit edition of Vista. There is a lan on the network with internet. I had plugged the internet to the switch and I hope this is really going to work well. I purchased a Dlink router. It is again on connected to the switch and then the modem line goes to router. The users can access shared files but the internet fialed to work. I am still struggling to find a working settings for the same and hope that there will be some appropriate resolution available.

I had complained about the same to Microsoft. First of all the wired network is dropping ping while working. Later on after adding the router the net failed. I checked on the official website and they asked to update router firmware. I tried the same but still nothing was working. There was no option available that would really help. And the same kind of option on Windows XP works more efficiently. There is no issue with wired, but it is very complicated to work on wifi on Vista .

The problem with this router is that they do not need any driver or do not own any kind of update utility that we can use directly from our system to fix it. There is a tiny netgear router connected to my system. The router works well, but when I ping it, it gives me a high ping or 500ms. I am having a 1mbps line and that is the reason I was wondering why the net was slow. When I connect the pc directly to the modem the ping lowers down. I changed the lan cable and even upgraded the firmware. The problem was with the router.

There is a difference between using a wifi connection and wired connection. I had never plan to go for wifi connectivity due to tons of bugs. First if you are connected on the network you get a full access to the shared computer. Second the ping rate is very low. But on the wifi what you need to see is that wifi standard does the router supports. It is a older model then it might not work with new laptops. Second when you hit 10.1.1.1 on your web browser are you able to access the routers configuration page. If not then there is issue with the device.

I am having some ideas that will really work here. I am not going to talk much about wifi. I am here will provide information on the setup that I am using. If your network is still connected but internet connectivity fails then just ensure that you had added appropriate dns. The system is not able to get the dns access due to which you fail to get a proper connectivity. With other settings in the default gateway you just need to add 10.1.1.1. The system then uses the router to access internet and it works really well.

This has happened to me twice, both times after I introduced new Vista machines onto my network. (Environment is Vista -> Linksys Router -> Comcast)

I don't know what causes it, but I do know what I did to fix it.

1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Find the Network Adapter
    3. Uninstall it (but keep the drivers)
    4. Scan for hardware changes

The card will be "rediscovered" and magically, Internet access returns.

Again, something got weird, and needed to be wiped out. I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me.

I also figured out that you have to disable the firewall when you do this, or else you get an "Unknown Network" in addition to your "Private Network". Whenever you see "Unknown Network", just know that your Internet connection probably won't work.

I had a similar problem recently where an XP network was running fine with both ethernet and wireless connections.

I added a new Vista laptop via it's wireless connection and got "limited accessibility". (ie. it could see the router but not connect to the internet.)

Now I know this laptop was configured OK to run on an XP network because I had set it up the week before to run on this guy's home network....and it was fine.

The problem turned out to be the Router which was an oldish model that needed a firmware upgrade before it would allow the Vista laptop to connect fully in wireless mode.

So I suggest that before you tear anymore hair out, you run the model number and firmware version past the router manufacturer's tech support to make sure that it's Vista wireless compatible........might save you many more hours of frustration.

That may be your solution......but it wasn't mine.

Until I get a network working correctly I never enable encription. I had this problem even though there was no network encription.

I think you will find that this problem doesn't have just one solution, but can be caused by a number of factors.....so, all the solutions offered here should be checked because any one of them could be the answer.

getyourbodyonth Guest

ok boys... here is the solution....

The problem is Windows Vista Home Premium does not know how to connect
    to wireless networks using the WEP Key...

If you Disable Wireless Security (i.e. No WEP Key)... and try to
    connect to your router.... you will have LOCAL AND INTERNET
    connection... and your Vista Home Premium connects to the internet
    wirelessly...

The minute you put WEP security back on..... Vista cannot understand it
    anymore... and your connection to the internet is cut off....

YES!!... THIS IS A VISTA PROBLEM.... nothing else....

And the people at Microsoft DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT YET!!!

Oh Wow!! This is a great bit to absorb or even try testing for someone lacking the computer know how of those here. I'm running Vista and attempting to connect via a public network. I'm connected to the network but cannot access the internet. A friend sitting right beside running XP on her laptop connects to the same network without any problem at all!

This is a problem that only presents itself when attempting to access a public connection. I have a wireless network set up in my home through which I have no problems getting online. I fear adjusting many settings may create a problem with my home network as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks...

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Guest

Can you ping a public IP address like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping a web
    site like chicagotech.net?

hi everyone, i am having exactly the same problem as what people have described on here and have tried all the suggestions that people have put forward but no joy. i dont understand it because in all the other houses ive lived in the wireless has always connected but now that ive moved into my new house it wont connect and just says local connection. ive even tried to connect with an ethernet cable and after some fiddling around it worked but by doing this, it must have affected the wireless as my housemates computer couldnt pick up wireless then, yet i could pick up the net through the cable. Im starting to think that its the router that is rubbish and wanted to know what other people thought?would it worth buying a new router and seeing if that worked?thanks any answers would be greatly appreciated.i have no idea about computer, which youve probably already guessed by this message so yep any help would be ace!thanks Anna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast