Thread: Delay mapped drive connection on vista until network is up

Delay mapped drive connection on vista until network is up

I am not certain that this has been addressed previous to, additional than I not be able to locate the answer. I have encompassed a network share with the intention of I had desired mapped to a drive letter at startup, additional than I acquire an error message for the reason that the network is not up for regarding 20 seconds subsequent to I log in. Is there a method to have encompassed the reconnect at logon wait for the network to become obtainable.

Re: Delay mapped drive connection on vista until network is up

Pedestal on my test, I had originated that the message might not reconnect the entire network drives is just presently a notification letting you be familiar with to facilitate the network drives have encompassed not been reconnected throughout the logon. It determine to not protect you commencing from accessing the network drives on an occasion the network is obtainable.

I have encompassed and experienced this similar tribulations through the network drive not connecting when the network correlation is delayed. The problems arrises when a program is set to utilize the network drive letter. If the correlation has not been established physically by hitting it off on the drive in my computer on startup, then, for illustration, the Microsoft Money determine to fail when attempting to write a backup file to the network drive.

Even though it is conceivable to have right of entry the drive physically, programs which attempt to do so determine to fail. If there is a number of method to require a delay previous to attempting to reconnect network drives on startup, it be supposed to solve this issue. Just presently to be clear, here are the steps of the issue most of them are having. Have a formerly defined network drive xSmile. Which is having the Microsoft Money position up to mechanically save backup to network drive x. Startup you system, and receive message "Unable to reconnect the entire network drives."

At present, if subsequent to I go to my computer, the after that you have to open the x: drive physically, then go on to further step, the whole thing works extremely well. Additional than, I do not actually like having to remember this. Adding a delay with the intention of permits my WiFi to acquire up and working with previous to trying to reconnect the network drive be supposed to solve the problem.

A quickly workaround in Windows XP anyway, I have encompassed and not acquire the Vista to test it, demonstrates this is a long standing tribulations with the intention of be supposed to have encompassed and been fixed at present wireless networks are becoming the norm and often attach late in the boot procedure is to position the Money Backup file location or several additional programme to facilitate you desire to have right of entry the network share without having to manually reconnect at the UNC (\\server\share\file) to a great extant than the drive letter.

Not certain the entire the techies understand the issue as they are utilize to systems being on the entire day so to facilitate on an occasion they are up and working with the whole thing is okay and a quick visit to My Computer to manually activate the drive initial thing in the morning does not bother them. For SoHo users most of them tend to turn the system on to do a specific job and then turn it off the entire in excess off again, accessing additional programmes/areas of the operating system is a pain at the excellent and extremely easy to forget.

This be able to cause a big issue when utilizing the programmes similar to Picasa or similar which determine to remember media on associated drives additional than on an occasion the programme is started commencing from side to side the drive disconnected determine to forget and have encompassed to rexplore when the drive is reconnected. Is a big pain on a sluggish 500gb external I be able to tell you ideally Microsoft be supposed to position a second alternative behind Reconnect at Logon which is wait for network adaptor previous to attempting reconnect: wireless/lan/bluetooth,etc.

If you are utilizing nLite to customize your Windows XP installation, there is an alternative with the intention of for the reason that mapped network drives to wait until they have right of entry for the initial time previous to they endeavoring to connect. This is the perfect explanation for me additional than I might like to be familiar with how to alter this setting subsequent to installation.

Subsequent to numerous days of endeavoring to fix this and months of receiving annoyed by it, and observing to facilitate no expert make available a solution to such a clear issue, I in conclusition originated the solution. You have encompassed to run regedit.exe Warning do not edit your registry if you do not be familiar with what it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\ after that you have to set or generate a DWORD then you have to to position the RestoreConnection = 0.

At the same time as it might not prevent user commencing from accessing the mapped drive, several application with the intention of necessitate to utilize a file in the drive by means of a failed reconnection status determine to not be capable to locate it, until Windows itself has succesfully mapped the drive initially throughout log on. The users determine to have encompassed to first physically refresh My Computer for windows to locate drive, previous to being capable to open several file commencing from side to side a third program. In today Media Sharing environment, this is somewhat of a glitch, where users are storing media utilizing DNLA hardware.

This is a accurately annoying and longstanding problem with the intention of is tranquil a issue in Windows 7. I have encompassed and written a diminutive executable to facilitate solves the issue for me by permitting you to specify a timeout up until which the program determine to maintain endeavoring to map the drive until it is successful. I have encompassed and taken this approach subsequent to a small number of fairly extensive research.